Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Morecambe 1-1 Coventry City - The Sky Blues forced to settle for a replay in the FA Cup.

6 November 2016

A Jamie Sterry equaliser ensures the Sky Blues a replay against Morecambe...

The Sky Blues were forced to settle for a replay in the first round of the FA Cup after a 1-1 draw against Morecambe at the Globe Arena. 

Dean Winnard put the home side ahead before Jamie Sterry equalised, scoring his first goal for the Sky Blues with a neat curling finish into the bottom corner.

The home side began the contest on the front foot, forcing goalkeeper Lee Burge into a number of early saves. Firstly, Tom Barkhuizen found Peter Murphy, but his effort was saved well, before Burge got his fingertips to a goalbound effort from a corner, tipping it onto the crossbar.

After a frantic opening to the game, Morecambe continued to have the better of the proceedings as both teams settled. Andre Wright cleared the home side’s corner, only for it to fall to Aaron Wildig on the edge of the area, but the midfielders curling effort never troubled Burge.  

The Sky Blues first meaningful foray forward came through Andy Rose. The midfielder broke the offside trap and fired it across the box. It evaded the oncoming Wright, but fell to Kyel Reid who could only hit it over the bar. 

Morecambe responded and hit the woodwork for the second time in the match. Barkhuizen pressed the City defence into a mistake and laid it off to Murphy. The midfielder drove to the byline and from a tight angle hit it against the crossbar. 

The home side’s pressure nearly told on the brink of halftime. A wonderful ball set Barkhuizen away down the right; he took one touch before delivering the ball to the edge of the six-yard box. Cole Stockton looked to have the easiest of finishes but Jordan Willis denied him with a superb last-ditch block. 

The Sky Blues began the second half looking a different proposition to that of the first 45, with the introduction of Jack McBean seemingly aiding City’s attacking intent. 

The striker held the ball up well before laying it off to Marvin Sordell, but his deflected effort crashed against the crossbar and out of play. From the resulting corner, a goalmouth scramble nearly presented McBean and Andy Rose a chance, but the ball was cleared to safety. 

Despite the improved City performance, it was Morecambe who took the lead. Stockton flicked on an inswining corner at the front post and it fell to Dean Winnard to smash it past Burge for the opening goal. 

The Sky Blues responded well and could have been level if not for a good save from ‘keeper Barry Roche. Ruben Lameiras slipped it into the path of Andre Wright, but the striker couldn’t beat the oncoming Roche in the Morecambe goal. 

The pressure finally told as Jamie Sterry scored his first goal for the club. The defender played a one-two with Wright before cutting inside and finding the bottom corner to equalise for City. 

Both sides had chances to win the game in the final 15 minutes, but they will have to settle for a replay at the Ricoh to earn progression to the second round.  

Attendance: 1,742 (546) 

Yellow: Sterry, Lameiras, Whitmore, Murphy. 


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Di. Kelly-Evans, Willis (C), Turnbull, Sterry, Stevenson, Rose, Lameiras, Reid (McBean 45'), Wright (Maycock 77'), Sordell.  

Subs: Charles-Cook (GK), Ricketts, Harries, Jones, Tudgay.

Morecambe: Roche (GK), McGowan, Winnard, Murphy (C), Barkhuizen, Molyneux (Dunn 76'), Wildig (Mullen 67'), Whitemore, Jennings, Stockton, Rose.

Subs: Nizic (GK), Wakefield, Conlan, Fleming, Turner.

Advertisement block