Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 2-0 Chesterfield - Jordan Willis and Andy Rose on the scoresheet as City win at the Ricoh

1 November 2016

Willis scores his second of the season, while Rose makes it two in two since returning from injury...

Coventry maintained their unbeaten home record and won for third time in succession at the Ricoh thanks to second half goals from Jordan Willis and Andy Rose.

In what was a quiet opening to the game it took ten minutes for the Sky Blues to carve their first chance. With the away side seemingly confident in possession, Jodi Jones nicked in front his man and stole the ball. City's No.10 ran at the visitor's back four and squared it to Kyel Reid who laid the ball back into the path of Gael Bigirimina, with the midfielder's first time shot swerving just wide.

Coventry had to dig in and defend for the next ten minutes as Chesterfield tried to create something of their own, and were it not for some heroic blocks from the central defensive pair, the away side would have had the lead. 

Kristian Dennis got to the byline, his left footed low cross to the front post was blocked well by Jordan Turnbull and Lee Burge but the ball fell to Ched Evans who looked like he couldn’t miss, only for Willis to recover well and deny the striker with a goal saving block. But the danger wasn't clear as the ball fell to Gboly Ariyibi and the wingers shot was blocked on the line and scrambled clear by Ben Stevenson.

A clear warning sign that the home side heeded, growing in confidence as the half went on, without creating any clear goal scoring opportunities. A close game with both sides knowing the first goal would be key as they entered the dressing rooms at half-time. 

It took a little less than two minutes for the Sky Blues to record their first attempt on target in the second half. A deep cross from Lewis Page found the head of Marcus Tudgay, but Spireites’ keeper, Ryan Fulton, saved his looping header.

A positive start after the break from Coventry was backed up by successive corners. However a breakaway from the visitors nearly opened the deadlock, Kristian Dennis broke down the right and squared to Evans who eventually fired wide from 25 yards. 

On the hour mark the Sky Blues were inches away from taking the lead but Jamie Sterry couldn’t get a toe to an inviting Reid cross, minutes later the winger had a chance of his own as he squeezed in a shot from the edge of the box that took Fulton by surprise as he managed to tip it wide. 

With 20 minutes to play Mark Venus made two attack minded changes as Rose and Ruben Lameiras were introduced to bolster the Sky Blues attacking intent. It worked, a minute after coming on Rose won a header from a Bigirimana corner, it was blocked but and a quick thinking Turnbull pulled the ball back to his skipper, and Willis made no mistake from six yards. 

With ten minutes to play City doubled their advantage, as Rose scored his second in as many games. Reid held off his man in the centre of the park and laid the ball off to Agyei who swept it wide for the advancing Page. The fullback fired a low ball across the box and found the feet of Rose who stroked home with a first time finish. 

The Sky Blues saw the game out comfortably, but the shine was slightly taken off the result as Page received a second yellow in injury time after a challenge on Connor Dimaio. 

Attendance: 7,941 (217) 

Yellow: Page, Bigirimana, Liddle, Evatt. 

Red: Page


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Willis (C), Turnbull, Sterry, Page, Stevenson, Bigirimana, Jones (Lameiras 66'), Reid, Agyei (Sordell 76'), Tudgay (Rose 66'). 

Subs: Charles-Cook (GK), Ricketts, Maycock, Wright.

Chesterfield: Fulton (GK), Hird, Liddle (C), Evatt, Evans, O'Neill, Dimaio, Donohue, Dennis (German 77'), O'Shea (Mitchell 87'), Ayiribi. 

Subs: Allinson (GK), Nolan, Anderson, Maguire, Graham.

Advertisement block