Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Bolton Wanderers 1-0 Coventry City - The Sky Blues suffer narrow defeat on the road

22 November 2016

Clough on target for the home side as City suffer a narrow defeat at the Macron...

The Sky Blues came away empty handed from the Macron Stadium after a narrow defeat against Bolton Wanderers. 

Zach Clough got the only goal of the game in the eleventh minute, as City were unable to breach a stubborn Bolton defence after rallying in the second half.

The home side began the brighter of the two sides, retaining the ball well as they looked for an early opening. Josh Vela found space as he drove towards the byline, the midfielder cut it back towards Gary Madine and from a few yards Lee Burge somehow denied the striker the opening goal. 

Bolton’s promising start was soon rewarded as Zach Clough gave them the lead. Madine flicked on a long ball, and after a missed clearance from the City defence, Clough lifted the ball over the advancing Burge to give his side the lead. 

The Sky Blues first foray into the Wanderers box came courtesy of a nice passage of passing play. Kyel Reid worked the ball out to Lewis Page and his low delivery fell to the feet of Dan Agyei. The striker held off his man, but seen his effort blocked and cleared to safety. 

City were beginning to ask problems of the Bolton defence as Reid went close. A lovely turn on the edge of the box gave the midfielder space, and he fired an effort towards the top corner, but Alnwick denied the Sky Blues an equaliser.

After a good spell of City pressure, it was Bolton who went close to doubling their lead. A ball into the box found its way towards Clough, but he couldn’t beat Burge from ten yards out. 

The Sky Blues responded as Reid received the ball wide on the right. The midfielder cut the ball back towards the edge of the box, and after a lovely dummy from Gael Bigirimana, Marvin Sordell skied the ball over the bar. 

City began the second half with more purpose as Page tested the Bolton ‘keeper from range. After a nice passing move, the defender received the ball on the left and cut inside, but his effort was well held by Alnwick. 

Despite the City improvement, Bolton went very close to doubling their advantage, firstly through Sammy Ameobi. Clough, again causing problems for the City defence, cut the ball back to the forward, but Burge denied him with a fantastic save. 

Moments later, it was the turn of Clough as he bent a free kick up and over the wall, but was denied by the goal frame as the ball was cleared to safety.  

Mark Venus made a double change of the hour mark, with Jodi Jones and Ruben Lameiras entering the action, and it very nearly paid dividends. Jones received the ball on the edge of the area and beat one man before narrowly hitting his effort just past the post. 

Minutes later the Sky Blues were inches away from levelling the scores. Jamie Sterry did superbly to find a way to the byline and cut it back to Lameiras, the Portuguese forward’s first time effort looked destined for the net until Lawrie Wilson headed it off the line. 

City continued to press inside the final minutes and were again denied by a goal line clearance. Jordan Turnbull’s bullet header looked to be finding the corner but Jay Spearing was on hand to head it clear.  

Attendance: 12,290 (479) 

Yellow: Beevers, Sterry, Sordell.


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Sterry, Willis (C), Turnbull, Harries (Lameiras 64'), Page, Bigirimana, Stevenson, Reid (McBean 83'), Sordell, Agyei (Jones 64'). 

Subs: Charles-Cook (GK), Maycock, Gadzhev, Wright.

Bolton Wanderers: Alnwick (GK), Beevers, Vela, Spearing (C), Clough (Henry 72'), Madine (Proctor 90'), Osede, Taylor, Ameobi (Taylor 72'), Wilson, Thorpe.

Subs: Turner (GK), Buxton, Moxey, Anderson.

Advertisement block