Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/03/2016

29 March 2016

Coventry City suffered defeat at the Ricoh Arena on Tuesday night, as they came away with a 1-0 defeat against Colchester United.

Gavin Massey finished from close range to hand the visitors the lead, before Jacob Murphy would have the chance to level the scoreline from the spot. But the skilful winger’s effort was saved, as the Sky Blues lost 1-0.

Jodi Jones, who impressed in the second half against Peterborough made his first start for the club, in place of Andy Rose. Romain Vincelot came back into the midfield as Gael Bigirimana dropped to the bench. Jack Stephens was the replacement for Vincelot at centre-back after returning from international duty. Jacob Murphy was deployed in the No.10 role once again.

The opening stages of the game were largely a slumber affair, with both teams only mustering the odd half-chance here and there. However, in the 17th minute the U’s took the lead. Elliot Lee paced himself down the right-wing before taking the ball past his opposite number to the byline, where he pulled it back to Gavin Massey, who placed it to the left of Reice Charles-Cook into the corner. Lee had seemingly run the ball out of play before pulling it back, but no whistle was blown and the goal stood.

Come the half-hour mark, City had come more into the game as they probed for the equaliser. A sleek interchange in the midfield saw the ball played into Jacob Murphy down the left of the area. The Sky Blues’ No.10 managed to turn his defender before firing towards goal, but his shot was blocked well.

Tony Mowbray’s men were now creating real-scoring opportunities as Joe Cole came inches away from levelling five minutes later. Murphy dribbled past a couple of defenders before sliding the ball into Cole in the box,the midfielder was just a second away from applying a finish, when the defender slid in to claim the ball.

In the 43rd minute, City were given the chance to level the proceedings as they were awarded a penalty. Fortune won the ball in the box, before playing it to the on-rushing John Fleck. City’s No.7 took it past the defender with a graceful touch and was about to pull the trigger before he was brought down. Murphy took the resulting penalty but Elliott Parish saved, diving low to his right to keep it 1-0 to the U’s.

At the start of the second half, the Sky Blues came out fighting and almost equalised in the 53rd minute. Cole played it into Sam Ricketts down the left of the area, who fizzed it into Romain Vincelot in the six-yard box. The midfielder managed to control and shoot but his shot was deflected over the bar for a corner.

Colchester, much against the run of play in the second half, almost extended their lead in the 68th minute. Alex Gilbey collected the ball in the middle of the park and passed it onto George Moncur out-wide. Moncur managed to make his way into the box, before hitting a fierce shot towards the bottom left, but Charles-Cook smothered well.

The U’s had another chance with ten minutes to go. Colchester broke well on the counter with the ball being played to Massey on the edge of the box, who shimmed past his defender, before firing just wide of the right corner. Gillbey had a chance three minutes later for the U’s as he sped into the area, but his near post effort was saved by Charles-Cook.

Into the three minutes of added time, Tony Mowbray's men continued to press the U's, but an equalising goal did not come. Thus condemning the Sky Blues to a second consecutive defeat.


10,027 (180 away)


Coventry City: Charles-Cook (GK), Lorentzson (Thomas 70), Martin, Stephens, Ricketts, Vincelot, Fleck, Jones, Murphy (Lameiras 63), Cole, Fortuné (Tudgay 60).

Subs: Addai (GK), Di. Kelly-Evans, Hunt, Bigirimana.

Colchester United: Parish (GK), Garvan (C), Edwards (Brindley 46), Gilbey, Porter, Moncur (Harney 89), Massey, Lee (Lapsile 65), Eastman, Kent, Shorey.

Subs: Barnes (GK), Wright, Bonne, Ambrose.

YC: Stephens, Lapsile

Advertisement block