Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 19/03/2016

19 March 2016

Coventry City were held to a goaless draw against Swindon Town on Saturday in a lively fixture.

Chances were not lacking for either side during the match but it was to finish goalless as neither could get that elusive goal.

Tony Mowbray made three changes from the team that was victorious at Bloomfield Road last week. Martin Lorentzson came in for the injured Chris Stokes, while Andy Rose replaced Jacob Murphy. Joe Cole came in for James Maddison as Marc-Antoine Fortune and Adam Armstrong completed the front four.

From the first whistle, the game adopted a fast tempo with both sides looking to score an early goal. City were the first out of the two to come close with John Fleck on the quarter hour mark. The energetic midfielder collected the ball in the middle of the park, going onto strike from 25 yards but his shot bobbled just wide of the bottom right.

The Sky Blues had taken control of the game but were almost caught out in the 22nd minute. A ball over the top of the defence fell to Jonathan Obika, who tried to shoot across goal into the corner but Reice Charles-Cook was equal to it, smothering the ball well. The Robins had another chance a minute later, but Anton Rodgers’ free-kick flew wide.

However, the stadium began rocking after that and the Sky Blues faithful were almost on their feet in celebration, in the 29th minute. Strong forward play from Adam Armstrong saw him speed down the right-wing before whipping a ball into Marc-Antoine Fortune. However, the forward could not make the right connection and the chance passed.

In the 38th minute, the crowd were on their feet in celebration but it was to be short-lived, as the goal was ruled offside. The ball was crossed in from the left and Andy Rose was alive to it in the box, diving in to slide the ball under Tyrell Belford. However, before the midfielder could properly celebrate his first goal for City the linesman raised his flag.

The second half began much slower than the first but, City were still in the ascendency, with the skipper coming close in the 59th minute. Rose managed to cross in from the right and Sam Ricketts rose highest to meet it, but couldn’t keep his header down.

Swindon did manage to grow into the half more as it went on and Obika almost got the away fans celebrating in the 70th minute. The pacey forward ran at the defence down the right of the area before curling an effort towards goal, but Charles-Cook saved well.

The Sky Blues dominated much of the ball from that point, penning in the Robins with a barrage of attacks. Substitute Jacob Murphy combined well with Armstrong in the 82nd minute, to almost give Mowbray's men that coveted late goal. The winger cut in from the right before playing a delightful one-two with Armstrong, but he couldn't make the final connection as the opposing defender cleared.

Into the four minutes of added time, Darius Henderson had the best chance of the half to snatch victory. The ball was floated in, with Henderson bringing it down onto his chest, before volleying towards the net, but Belford tipped it over. That was to be the last kick of the game as it finished level, with City two points behind Barnsley in the last play-off position.

Attendance: 12,322 (2,432 Away)


Coventry City: Charles-Cook (GK), Ricketts (C), Stephens, Martin, Lorentzson (Henderson 71), Vincelot, Fleck, Rose, Cole (Murphy 58), Fortuné (Maddison 58), Armstrong.

Subs: Addai (GK), Hunt, Bigirimana, Tudgay. 

Swindon Town: Belford (GK), N. Thompson (C), Ottewill (Brophy 78), Turnball, Ajose, Doughty, L. Thompson, Obika, Sendles-White, Rodgers (Robert 73), Barry.

Subs: Henry (GK), Cooke, Hylton, Iandolo, Marshall. 

YC: Vincelot, Rodgers, Thompson

Advertisement block