Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Coventry City - Under-21s denied victory at Hillsborough

16 February 2016

George Thomas grabbed an equaliser in the second-half thanks to a wonderful piece of Ruben Lameiras magic...

Coventry City Under-21s were held at Hillsborough despite a dominant away performance at Sheffield Wednesday.

Keenan King put Wednesday ahead on the stroke of half-time but George Thomas equalised after the break and City were guilty of missing big chances late on.

City Under-21s coach Lee Glover must have been looking forward to this game to see midfielders Ben Stevenson and Jack Finch return to the starting XI following lengthy injury spells.

Stevenson started the game in the No.10 position and almost found the net when George Thomas supplied him 25-yards out and under pressure from Joe Bennett, fired narrowly wide of the right-hand post.

The Sky Blues continued to dominate proceedings at Hillsborough and should have gone ahead through unlikely candidate Aaron Phillips with 17 minutes gone. The industrious Thomas opened space up on the right to cross for the on-rushing right-back but his header hit the post and the rebound was cleared away.

Bigirimana curled a 25-yard free-kick into the keeper's arms before Thomas had a shot of his own blocked from six yards out just past the half-hour.

With City guilty of missed opportunities, Wednesday capitalised in the final minute of the half as Keenan King found space in the area to fire towards goal, Skuza could only parry and King followed up the rebound for the Owls.

Finch was replaced at the break by Ruben Lameiras as part of Finch's injury return and Lameiras had a instant impact when he found Kyle Spence on the right but he could only drag his shot wide in the 51st minute.

With 30 minutes remaining, Wednesday were offered the opportunity to double their lead when Dion Kelly-Evans appeared to win the ball from substitute Jack Lee, but the referee saw it differently. Perhaps justice was done when Jack Stobbs fired the penalty into the Kop End in the 58th minute.

Four minutes later, City pulled themselves level thanks to the individual brilliance of Lameiras. The Portuguese winger found space on the left to drive into the box and then drag the ball through Lee's legs to supply Thomas with an easy tap in...

City dominated proceedings after the equaliser and should have gone ahead with 13 minutes remaining. Lameiras did well to find the substitute Trialist who fired towards goal which keeper Dawson could only parry and Thomas' six-yard rebound was blocked.

Spence almost stole the show with eight minutes remaining. Collecting the ball from the right, he turned inside past two defenders and fired towards goal from 20-yards, only for keeper Dawson to tip onto the post.

Whilst City continued to press, the home side almost claimed all the points in the final minutes of the game when Hirst fired a left-sided cross over from six-yards out but it wasn't to be as Glover's side travel back to Coventry with a point.


Coventry City: Skuza (GK), Phillips, Di. Kelly-Evans, Harries, Martin, Bigirimana, Finch (Lameiras 60), Spence, Dev. Kelly-Evans, Stevenson (Trialist 46), G. Thomas.

Subs: Thompson, Mantsounga.

Sheffield Wednesday: Dawson (GK), Croasdale, Bennett (Lee 50), Semedo, De Havilland, Beatson, Stobbs, Lopez (Clarke 80), King, Centeno, Meadows.

Subs: Booker, McDonagh (GK), Hirst.

Attendance: 132

Advertisement block