Coventry City Football Club (CCFC) is a club with a storied tradition and a bright future. Embedded in one of the UK’s fastest growing and most innovative cities in the West Midlands, the club is currently playing in the SkyBet Football League One. The club seek to recruit a Commercial Director to help market the club, manage its commercial base, develop its brand and commercial growth, and shape current and future relationships with the club’s supporters and corporate partners.
Direct Reports: Sales & Marketing Team
The Commercial Director (CD) will provide executive leadership on a day-to-day basis to our Premium Memberships & Corporate Hospitality, Sponsorship, and Marketing Departments by creating a cohesive unit and positive atmosphere focused on driving the club’s turnover. The CD is responsible for strategic positioning and marketing of the Coventry City FC brand, and determining and increasing the inventory elements of the brand that will generate revenue via ticket sales and sponsorship sales. The selected individual will have overall responsibility for the customer journey and service levels provided by Coventry City FC, and will be a key member of the senior staff in determining the strategic direction of stadium operations and the entire business.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Identify and target potential corporate sponsors that align with the Coventry City FC brand. Encourage sponsors to drive their consumers to congregate around the football club;
• Develop, write, and present corporate sponsorship and sales proposals to key clients. Create new sales collateral or modify existing collateral for Coventry City FC as required;
• Assume a leadership role in sponsorship negotiations, renewal strategies, and marquee sponsorship prospecting strategies;
• Hire, coach, mentor and supervise Sponsorship & Corporate Sales staff;
• Motivate and manage the day-to-day operations of the Sponsorship and Corporate Sales Department;
• Lead the Sponsorship and Corporate Sales Team in the development and implementation of strategic departmental plans consistent with company business objectives;
• Work with the Team to ensure that the budgets, goals, forecasting, client prospecting and marketing commitments developed for each client are being met and increasing business opportunities;
• Create and maintain sponsorship inventory levels for Coventry City FC;
• Liaise with other departments and other organisations to maximise cross-selling opportunities and share new ideas throughout Coventry City FC;
• Engage with Senior Staff to help create company strategies and corporate planning;
• Other related duties as required
• Oversee the strategic development, direction, and implementation of all marketing and marketing communication activities for Coventry City FC to increase fan engagement and participation, which includes marketing to supporters (both existing and potential), sponsors, consumer press and online media;
• Manage the marketing staff and direct the creative process in order to identify the brand to gain the greatest adhesion into the Coventry/West Midlands market for events;
• Act as the primary custodian of the CCFC brand standard and logos and oversee all corporate imaging and messaging. Ensure all communication vehicles are consistent in look, content and quality;
• Establish short and long term marketing strategies and plans to drive optimal business results in ticket sales and sponsorships;
• Other related duties as required.
Ticket Sales and Service
• Responsible for the club’s ticketing sales operations in conjunction with the club’s outsource partner.
• Develop strategies in keeping with the brand and various target constituencies to maximise opportunities in ticket sales for Coventry City FC, including group sales;
• Identifying and managing key trends in purchasing patterns, and ensuring the pricing strategy is optimal to achieve turnover projections;
• Oversee and track all turnover projections and budget numbers for ticket sales, premium sales, and group sales;
• Develop and enhance the fan experience and customer journey;
• Ensure there is a cohesive bond between marketing and sales to drive business success throughout Coventry, the West Midlands Area, and beyond;
• Confer with the Board and executive personnel to review achievements and discuss required changes in goals or objectives resulting from current status and conditions;
• Other related duties as required
• Responsible for the club’s retail operations, including the real estate strategy, in conjunction with the club’s existing retail outsource partner.
• Develop strategies in keeping with the brand and various target constituencies to maximise opportunities in merchandise sales for Coventry City FC;
• Manage and develop the club’s various hospitality services and products in conjunction with the club’s landlord and catering provider;
• Drive the overall marketing, positioning and “go-to-market” sales strategies for club’s hospitality offerings;
• Develop an innovative, sustainable, and profitable programme of non-Match Day events and activities;
• Other related duties as required
REQUIRED SKILLS, EXPERIENCE & ABILITIES
• A strategic thinker who can develop a business plan, then frame and implement the sales process throughout the entire organisation on both tickets and sponsorships in a dynamic environment;
• Must be an open, accessible, outgoing sales-oriented individual who is comfortable making presentations to senior management and developing/building strong relationships with community, civic, and media entities;
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of how new technology and new media applies to the ticket sales and retention process;
• Must be results-oriented with the proven ability to improve top line performance;
• Excellent people skills, a real desire to interact with people, ability to interact efficiently and in a professional manner with VIP’s as well as internal and external clients at all levels within an organisation and throughout the community;
• Strong project management and leadership skills and sales proposal experience;
• Experience of managing budgets;
• Must be able to work evenings and weekends as business need dictates
• At least 4 years’ experience in a position responsible for ticket sales and marketing and/or corporate sponsorships sales or new business development revenue for a sports team or association, stadium, or events venue;
• Experience in developing and implementing key marketing/commercial policy across whole business/business unit;
• Strong network of local and national corporate contacts;
• Demonstrated creativity and flexibility in the development of innovative and effective sales, ticketing and marketing campaigns;
• A track record of successfully leading and managing a team
• Proven and successful experience in packaging of sponsorships, marketing, selling and negotiating new business opportunities;
• Knowledge and passion of the sports industry;
This job description is not intended to be regarded as inclusive or exhaustive and will be amended in the light of the changing needs of the organisation. All employees will be expected to support our major events.
Please send your application, including a covering letter, current CV and salary level to email@example.com by close of business, Wednesday 21st December 2016.