Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

REPORT: Peterborough United 1-1 Coventry City - The Sky Blues denied three points at the death

31 December 2016

Jordan Willis on target, but the Posh strike late to share the spoils...

The Sky Blues were cruelly denied all three points at the Abax Stadium, conceding late against Peterborough United.

Jordan Willis had put City in a first-half lead, but Michael Bostwick struck at the death to deny Russell Slade a first win in charge of Coventry.

Peterborough began brightly, with Paul Taylor seemingly causing City the biggest problems in defence. The forward received the ball from a short free-kick and drove into the box. On the turn, his effort was deflected towards Burge, who collected it comfortably.

Kyel Reid was becoming an influential figure as the Sky Blues began to grow into the game. The winger drove down the left hand side, cutting it back towards the oncoming Andy Rose, but the home side defender it well. 

A good spell of City pressure soon told as they were ahead thanks to Willis. After an initial corner was cleared, Rose played the ball back into the box, and the defender pounced to score his second goal in as many games.

City continued to come forward as George Thomas created a chance for himself. The Welshman shown a wonderful first touch before cutting inside and firing towards goal, but ‘keeper McGee saved it well. 

The home side grew into the contest as the half drew to a close, looking to respond to going behind. Tom Nichols nearly took advantage of a missed interception from Jamie Sterry, but his cross couldn’t find a home shirt in the middle.

City began the second half quickly and could have doubled their advantage if not for a fine save. Tudgay drove at the defence and hit a rasping effort from range, but it was tipped around the post. 

Peterborough began to dominate proceedings and Taylor continued to torment the City defence. The forward cut inside and hit an effort from distance, but it went well on Lee Burge in the City goal. 

Substitute Marcus Maddison was next man to go close, cutting onto his favoured left foot before flashing an effort just wide of the near post after good pressure from Dion Kelly-Evans. 

Michael Bostwick went ever so close to giving them a late equaliser, as his header from a Maddison corner went inches wide, but the home side wouldn’t have to wait much longer. With the final whistle moments away, Bostwick climbed highest to head in a deep Maddison cross and break Sky Blue hearts.

Attendance: 5,866 

Yellow: Tudgay, Bostwick, Lopes.


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Sterry, Willis (C), Turnbull, Page (Di. Kelly-Evans 45'), Stevenson, Thomas (Jones 63'), McCann, Rose, Reid, Tudgay (Sordell 77'). 

Subs: Charles-Cook (GK), Bigirimana, Lameiras, Agyei. 

Peterborough United: McGee (GK), Smith, Hughes, Bostwick, Tafazolli, Edwards, Forrester, Angol, Taylor (Chettle 65'), Lopes (Maddison 65'), Nichols (Coulthirst 70').

Subs: Tyler (GK), Inman, White, Binnom-Williams. 

Advertisement block