Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 3-1 Ipswich Town - City's Under-23 side return to winning ways against the Tractor Boys

12 December 2016

Jack Finch, Ivor Lawton and George Thomas on the scoresheet for the Sky Blues...

Nicky Eaden’s Under-23 side returned to winning ways with a hard-fought victory against Ipswich Town. 

Jack Finch opened the scoring early on, before goals from Ivor Lawton and George Thomas, both from the penalty spot, sealed three points for the 23s. 

The young Sky Blues started off brightly and had the lead after just three minutes. City worked the ball well down the left as George Thomas found space and fired a ball across the box. Returning from injury, Jack Finch got in front of his man to flick it past the Ipswich ‘keeper to give his side an early lead.

After a quiet spell following the opening goal, Ipswich had their first sighter at Addai in the City goal. The number 11 rode two challenges to find space just outside the box, but he fired well over the bar. 

The visitors had their best chance of the match so far shortly after. An overload on the left seen the ball played to the Ipswich 3, who had time and space inside the City box, but blazed it over. 

The match suddenly burst into life ten minutes before half time. After a lovely move on the right, Jack McBean was denied by a fantastic save from the Ipswich keeper, before the away side broke and forced a smart save from a narrow angle from Addai.

Ipswich went close to equalising moments before half time through their number 10. A loose ball fell the way to the attacker, as his effort rebounded back off the crossbar and was cleared to safety. 

The visitors would be made to rue their missed opportunity as City doubled their advantage on the stroke of half time. Thomas was taken down inside the box and Lawton stepped up to send the ‘keeper the wrong way. 

City again started the half brightly and could have added to their lead in the 52nd minute. McBean held up the ball well and fed it to Lawton. The midfielder passed it towards Bilal Sayoud, but his low effort was well saved.

A similar combination nearly brought City that third goal on the hour mark. Sayoud picked up the ball on the right before cutting inside and firing a ball into the box, narrowly missing the oncoming McBean by a matter of inches.

The Sky Blues went close yet again through McBean. The striker fashioned his own chance, beating a defender inside the box, but fired straight at the Ipswich ‘keeper. 

Only the offside flag denied City that elusive third goal, as Devon Kelly-Evans converted Chris Camwell’s fantastic delivery, but the linesman flag was raised.

Ipswich had a route back into the game with fifteen minutes remaining, as Addai could only parry a free kick to an oncoming attacker, who tapped in from close range to reduce the deficit.

The away side seemed to have some momentum following the goal, but the Sky Blues responded well to wrap up the three points. Thomas converted from the spot after an Ipswich hand ball to restore the two goal advantage and give City a deserved victory. 

Yellow: Lawton


Coventry City: Addai (GK), Whitmore, Finch, Harries, Camwell, Lawton, Bayliss, Thomas, Kelly-Evans (C), Sayoud, McBean.

Subs: Scuza (GK), Hickman, Smith, Finn, Ponticelli.

Ipswich Town: N/A

Subs: N/A

Advertisement block