Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Cambridge United 4-0 Coventry City - Sky Blues exit the FA Cup after disappointing defeat

4 December 2016

Luke Berry scores a first-half hat trick as Mark Venus' side exit the competition at the second round...

The Sky Blues exited the FA Cup in the second round after a disappointing defeat against Cambridge United. 

Luke Berry scored four goals, including a first-half hat trick, as the Sky Blues were punished for a lacklustre performance at the Cambs Glass Stadium. 

Despite a positive spell of possession for the visiting side, it was Cambridge who went ahead inside ten minutes. George Maris picked the ball up on the left and delivered a fantastic cross into the area as Berry stabbed the ball past Burge from six-yards out.

The home side seemed buoyed by their early opening and went close again after some sloppy play by City. Uche Ikpeazu intercepted Lewis Page’s back pass, as the striker rounded Burge but couldn’t get a shot away from a tight angle as the danger was cleared.

The Sky Blues first sight at goal came from Gael Bigirimana, after some good play from Vladimir Gadzhev. The Bulgarian played a one-two with Jack McBean before delivering a ball to the back post, but Bigirimana couldn’t quite divert it goalbound. 

City soon found themselves two down as Berry claimed his second goal of the afternoon from the penalty spot. The midfielder was brought down by Cian Harries and picked himself up to roll the ball past Burge and into the corner to double the U’s advantage.

Cambridge continued to pour forward and soon grabbed a third goal inside 38 minutes, as Berry completed a first-half hat trick. Piero Mingoia won the ball back and slid it to the midfielder who found the bottom corner across Burge. 

Chris McCann and Kyel Reid entered the action at half time, but it was the U’s who nearly increased their advantage. It was Berry again as his header looked destined for the net if not for a fantastic fingertip save from Burge.

The Sky Blues responded and went close to a getting a goal back just before the hour mark. A cleared corner fell to McCann, who fired an effort just past the post via a deflection.

City should have reduced the deficit shortly after as Marvin Sordell cut inside onto his left foot. The striker forced a good save from ‘keeper Will Norris, and on the rebound Reid dragged an effort wide from a promising position. 

With the game winding down, Cambridge and Berry scored a fourth goal. Brad Halliday advanced down the right and crossed superbly for the midfielder to finish from close range. 

Attendance: 4,283 (745)

Yellow: Maycock, Turnbull, Gadzhev. 


Coventry City: Burge (GK), Willis (C), Turnbull, Harries (McCann 45'), Page, Bigirimana, Maycock (Reid 45'), Gadzhev, Lameiras (Jones 76'), Sordell, McBean.  

Subs: Charles-Cook (GK), Rose, Agyei, Tudgay. 

Cambridge United: Norris (GK), Taylor, Legge (C), Roberts, Halliday, Mingoia, Berry (Dunk 87'), Dunne, Clark, Maris (Williamson 77'), Ikpeazu (Pigott 90').

Subs: Gregory (GK), Adams, Long, Dallison.  

Advertisement block