Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City U21s 4-1 Colchester United U21s - Confident City put four past the U's

28 September 2015

Goals from Ruben Lameiras, George Thomas, Lateef Elford-Alliyu and Devon Kelly-Evans seal confident victory at the Ricoh Arena...

Coventry City Under-21s returned to winning ways with a confident 4-1 win over table-topping Colchester United.

City were always in control of the game with goals from Ruben Lameiras, George Thomas, Lateef Elford-Alliyu and Devon Kelly-Evans, as Colchester's Joe Tennent headed home a late reply. 

The Sky Blues welcomed Marc Antoine-Fortune into the side, who played 30 minutes in the 2-1 defeat against Bury at the weekend, as he looks to gain match fitness and Ruben Lameiras, who missed the weekend's game through illness.

Fortune's presence up front was a constant outlet as City almost went ahead in the first five minutes of the game. George Thomas found Lateef Elford-Alliyu just outside the area but his low effort was well saved.

The former Celtic striker was at it again in the 21st minute as his strength and pace held off Colchester defender Cameron Jones but his powerful shot was brilliantly saved by Dillon Barnes.

Bryn Morris was a controlling presence in the middle of the park and he was unfortunate to see a 20-yard strike come back off the post on the half-hour mark before City took the lead five minutes later.

Lameiras was found on the left and running into the area, he used a sensational bit of skill to outwit the defender before curling the ball through the keeper's legs.

City continued the pressure after the break and should have stretched their lead with 30 minutes remaining. From a left-sided set-piece, Ryan Haynes' cross found Adam Jackson at the back-post but the Colchester defender deflected the ball wide.

Two minutes later, Thomas dropped 30 yards out to receive the ball and brilliantly disguised a through-ball to Devon Kelly-Evans but his low effort was saved.

Colchester almost leveled with just under 20 minutes remaining. A left-sided Charlie Edge free-kick was whipped into the six-yard area where Jackson headed clear before the trialist blocked on the line.

City's defending proved crucial as Thomas doubled the home side's lead moments later. Devon Kelly-Evans cut back on the left to find the City striker on the edge of the area who turned his defender and curled home.

Joe Tennent headed home from a right-sided corner with 10 minutes remaining but Elford-Alliyu sealed the victory moments later. Substitute Ben Stevenson found Thomas in on goal and he squared for Elford-Alliyu who slotted home. 

City added gloss to the scoreline in the final minute of the game as Devon Kelly-Evans found space on the left side of the area to fire home.


Coventry City: Addai, Trialist, Jackson, Harries, Haynes, Lameiras (Di. Kelly-Evans 60), Lawton (Stevenson 80), Morris, Elford-Alliyu, G.Thomas, Fortune (Dev Kelly-Evans 60).

Subs: Skuza, Leahy.

Colchester United: Barnes, Andrews, Wilson, Lapslie, James, Tennent, Curtis, Regis (Harrison 80), Wright, Lawrence, Edge.

Subs: Robinson, Pollard, O'Donaghue, McKeown.

Advertisement block