Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Burton Albion 1-2 Coventry City - Sky Blues go second in League One thanks to Tudgay and Vincelot

6 September 2015

A goal in either half from Tudgay and Vincelot enough to secure three valuable points at the Pirelli Stadium...

Coventry City moved up to second in the League One table with a hard-fought 2-1 win away to Burton Albion.

Aaron Martin scored an early own goal before Marcus Tudgay notched his second of the season to equalise in the first-half. Romain Vincelot was then credited with the second-half winner after a scramble in the box, after it looked to have been bundled in by Martin.

Burton had the opener after 11 minutes, when Mark Duffy got free on the right-hand side and he fizzed in a dangerous cross which Martin unfortunately touched into his own net from six-yards.

But the Sky Blues were only behind for nine minutes when some sumptuous football opened up the Brewers on the left-hand side. Chris Stokes found Ruben Lameiras in a dangerous area and he found Jacob Murphy, and the winger spotted Tudgay in acres in the penalty area and the striker calmly knocked the ball in from eight-yards.

City had a good spell shortly after the goal, but could have had the lead just before the half-time break. Murphy worked a short corner well and skinned his man on the byline, crossing for Vincelot who had an effort in the six-yard box well blocked.

That was right on the stroke of half-time and just eight minutes into the second, City had the lead. Burton had a corner and Murphy nicked it back, surged all the way into opposition territory and won City a corner of their own. The initial delivery was cleared, but Murphy then whipped in a wonderful ball and Vincelot got a touch and the ball took a nick off what looked like Martin and bundled in. Live in the ground there was confusion over the goal after the referee consulted his linesman, but it was given and Martin ran off celebrating, although the goal was officially given to Vincelot.

Albion had a good chance immediately after the goal, when Stokes' clearance fell to Nasser El Khayati and he smashed an effort from the edge which took a nick and flew into the side netting.

From then City were looking to close the game out and Tony Mowbray brought on Marc Antoine Fortune for his City debut for the tireless Lameiras.

Tudgay almost had a second with nine minutes to play to seal the win, but he hit a lob when through in the area which sailed over when it looked a certain goal had he put it in a corner. 

Burton piled on some late pressure, with Lee Burge doing extremely well to keep out a Lucas Akins thunderbolt from 20-yards. Ryan Haynes then came on for Murphy for his first game of the campaign and after an extremely nervy finale, City got back to winning ways at the Pirelli Stadium. 


Coventry City: Burge; Ricketts, Martin, Johnson, Stokes; Vincelot, Fleck; Murphy (Haynes 90), Lameiras (Fortune 73), O'Brien, Tudgay (C.Thomas 83).

Subs: Charles-Cook, Harries, Elford-Alliyu, G. Thomas.

Burton Albion: McLaughlin (GK), Edwards, Cansdell-Sheriff, Mousinho (C), Weir (O'Connor 90), Beavon, El-Khayati (Akins 67), Naylor, Thiele, Duffy (Palmer 66), Binnon-Williams.

Subs: Matthews (GK), Reilly, Butcher, McCrory.

Referee: P Bankes

Yellow cards: Weir, Fleck

Attendance: 4,633

Advertisement block