Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 12/09/2015

12 September 2015

Coventry City were beaten 1-0 at Scunthorpe United thanks to a late goal from Paddy Madden.

The Sky Blues weren't at their best at Glanford Park as they were defeated for just the second time this season.

Adam Armstrong returned to the City line-up after international duty as Marcus Tudgay retained his spot after his impressive display at Burton Albion.

The first real effort came with ten minutes gone for the Iron, when Paddy Madden was fouled by the right touchline. Former City man Gary McSheffrey stepped up to curl a beautiful free-kick towards the far left-hand corner which forced Lee Burge into a tremendous save.

It was a dull first-half but one which the home side were the better team, giving City little chance to get their free flowing football started.

The only real opening City created in the opening 45 minutes was when Ruben Lameiras got free on the right side of the area, toyed with his man before hitting a venemous effort which was well blocked.

After a dull first-half, Scunthorpe had a great chance just two minutes after the restart when McSheffrey got free on the left and he put in a great cross which Tom Hopper headed inches over from five-yards.

It was a real let-off for the Sky Blues and the hosts had two more great openings shortly after, when Scott Laird blasted a dangerous ball across the box which missed everyone in the area, before Jordan Clarke had a half-volleyed effort which flew narrowly over from an angle.

Ryan Kent then came on for his City debut, replacing Jacob Murphy and the Liverpool loanee was instantly involved, showing his searing pace and some neat touches as City began to grow into the game.

Scunthorpe sat off in the closing stages and City began to get more of the ball. Marc-Antoine Fortune came on for Lameiras with just over 15 minutes to go but against the run of play at that stage, Scunthorpe took the lead with ten minutes to play as Madden latched onto a loose ball in the penalty area, took a touch and smashed an effort into the far left corenr past Burge.

In a final throw of the dice, George Thomas came on for Marcus Tudgay with five minutes to play and City went so close moment after. Sam Ricketts crossed from the right-hand side and Romain Vincelot met it in the area but headed it inches wide of the right-post.

But it wasn't the Sky Blues' day after seven minutes of added time as Tony Mowbray's men were defeated for just the second time this season.


Coventry City: Burge; Ricketts, Martin, Johnson, Stokes; Vincelot, Fleck; Lameiras, Tudgay (G.Thomas 85), Murphy (Kent 55), Armstrong.

Subs: Charles-Cook, Phillips, C.Thomas, Morris, Fortune.

Scunthorpe United: Daniels (GK), Clarke, King, Wallace, Laird, Ness (McAllister 65), Bishop, McSheffrey, van Veen (Syers 67), Madden, Hopper (Henderson 67).

Subs: Anyon, Wiseman, Goode, Adelakun.

Referee: A Haines

Yellow cards: Clarke, Wallace, Laird, McSheffrey,     Armstrong

Attendance: 3746 (991 Sky Blues fans)

Advertisement block