Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 3-2 Peterborough - City come from 2-0 with three second-half goals giving City three points

31 October 2015

City secure memorable comeback for second consecutive year with Romain Vincelot and a brace from Adam Armstrong securing the win...

Coventry City came from 2-0 down to earn a late memorable 3-2 win over Peterborough United at the Ricoh Arena for the second consecutive year.

Peterborough were the better side in the first-half and deservedly led thanks to goals from Jermaine Anderson and Erhun Otzmer. 

But three second-half goals, one from Romain Vincelot and two dramatic late strikes from Adam Armstrong sent the Ricoh Arena into pandemonium and maintained City's unbeaten home record.

With Joe Cole out with a slight knock, boss Tony Mowbray made three changes to the side that drew with Swindon, recalling Ruben Lameiras, Jacob Murphy and Marc-Antoine Fortune.

The Sky Blues started on the back foot and found themselves a goal down after 14 minutes when Conor Washington got down the left-hand side and crossed for Anderson who had time to find the bottom left-hand corner.

But Armstrong went extremely close to an equaliser midway through the first-half when he beat his man in the area and hit a clever effort across his body from eight-yards but it struck the post.

Just as the home side were beginning to build momentum, it was stopped in spectacular fashion on 36 minutes when Otzumer picked the ball up from 25-yards and hit a magnificent strike which swerved in the air and gave Reice Charles-Cook no chance.

Just before the break, Armstrong was unlucky not to get the Sky Blues back into the game when he raced into the area and smashed a vicious effort which Ben Alnwick did extremely well to parry away. 

Posh were on top for the first 45 and Mowbray was eager to address that, by replacing Fortune and Lameiras with Jim O'Brien and Ryan Kent.

It appeared to change the game as the Sky Blues were on top and the atmosphere was electric in the Ricoh Arena. The place erupted when Vincelot netted on 54 minutes to get City deservedly back in it when John Fleck hit a 25-yard effort against the post, and the french midfielder swivelled and finished expertly with a bicycle kick in the area to get his second goal in as many games.

City were all over Peterborough who were shell-shocked and had chances when Armstrong had a shot deflected narrowly wide before sub O'Brien curled a beautiful effort inches wide of the right-post.

Visiting stopper Alnwick was called upon again shortly after as Armstrong raced in past the back-line, but the keeper made a great stop to deny him in the area.

But the Sky Blues finally got the equaliser their second-half display merritted, when Jacob Murphy got the ball on the left and raced down the line, beat his man and cut inside in the area, poking the ball to Armstrong to tap into an empty net.

And the Newcastle loanee wasn't finished there and got the winning strike with three minutes to play, when he got the ball on the edge of the area, chopped his defender and got in the area and placed the ball calmly into the bottom left corner.

It was his fourth brace of the campaign and the Ricoh went crazy, Armstrong piled on top of Mowbray and his staff in massive celebrations and City held on in six minutes of added time to secure a well deserved and memorable comeback.


Coventry City: Charles-Cook, Phillips, Martin, Ricketts, Stokes (Haynes 75), Lameiras (Kent 46), Vincelot, Fleck, Murphy, Fortune (O’Brien 46), Armstrong.

Subs: Burge, Harries, C.Thomas, Tudgay.

Peterborough United: Alnwick, Smith, Taylor, Bostwick, Oztumer, Almeida-Santos, Washington, Anderson (Vassell 77), Coulibaly (Angol 56), Elder, Forrester (Collison 49).

Subs: Curtis-Henry, Davey, Fox, Beautyman.

Referee: G Ward

Yellow Cards: Martin,        Taylor, Elder, Almedia-Santos, Alnwick

Attendance: 11,853

Advertisement block