Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 24/10/2015

24 October 2015

Coventry City surrendered a two goal lead as they drew 2-2 against Swindon Town at the County Ground.

Romain Vincelot and Marcus Tudgay netted to give City a 2-0 lead with just over ten minutes to play, but Ben Gladwin netted with five minutes left before Nicky Ajose slotted in a penalty in injury time.

Reice Charles-Cook did however break Steve Ogrizovic's post-war record of the most time without conceding a goal despite the two late goals.

Joe Cole was named on the team-sheet for his second consecutive game while Ryan Kent and John Fleck both returned after missing the trip to Rochdale.

In miserable conditions, the Sky Blues had the better of the opening exchanges and almost took the lead after just six minutes, when Fleck's incisive pass released Cole who got through past the backline, but his shot was extremely well blocked by a last-ditch challenge.

Tony Mowbray's men allowed the home side to keep the ball throughout the half in their own territory, before looking for an opportunity to press as they got further up the pitch. 

It almost paid off when Cole went even closer than his first effort just before the half-time break. Kent burned his man and got away on the right-hand side and his low cross fell to the former Chelsea man at the back post but his precise side footed effort was hacked off the line.

That was to be Cole's last influence on the game as he was replaced at the break for Ruben Lameiras, but the hosts had a golden chance just after the interval. 

Henrik Ojamaa cut inside skinning Chris Stokes on the left and looked certain to hit the target from eight-yards, but Sam Ricketts got across to make an excellent block.

That upped the atmosphere inside the County Ground but the Sky Blues had a great chance on the break shortly after as Lameiras found Kent and he got free on the right, a cross would have found Jim O'Brien in acres at the back post but the Liverpool loanee took on his man again and was well tackled.

Vincelot then went into the book for a mistimed challenge but he was the goalscorer 12 minutes later. A lovely move saw O'Brien release Stokes and his first time cross fell to Vincelot at the back-post who had the simple task of stroking the ball into the net. 

The away end packed with Sky Blues fans erupted and the were almost on their feet again just five minutes later when Lameiras skinned Jordan Turnbull in the area and was clipped by the Swindon man, but the referee was unmoved from what looked a certain penalty.

City were dealing with plenty of Swindon pressure and Tudgay came on for Armstrong in a bid to keep City on the ball. On 77 minutes, the Sky Blues were awarded a spot-kick when substiture Murphy was pulled down by Adam El-Abd and Tudgay stepped up and saw his effort well saved, but the rebound fell kindly to him and he tapped in easily.

With five minutes to go, Gladwin lashed in a vicious effort just inside the area and the Sky Blues were on the back foot.

Just as the official indicated there would be four minutes of added time, Aaron Martin conceded a penalty for holding his man and Nicky Ajose confidently slotted the ball into the bottom right corner.

That meant that the Sky Blues have drawn their last three league games ahead of the Peterborough clash next week.


Coventry City: Charles-Cook, Phillips, Martin, Ricketts, Stokes, Vincelot, Fleck, O'Brien, Cole (Lameiras 45), Kent (Murphy 59), Armstrong (Tudgay 76).

Subs: Burge, Morris, Harries, Fortune.

Swindon Town: Vigouroux, Barry, Branco, El-Abd, Turnbull, Rodgers, Kasim (C), Gladwin, Ojamaa (Robert 63), Ajose, Brophy (Obika 63). 

Subs: Belford, Ormonde-Ottewill, Traore, Balmy, Hylton.

Referee: D Whitestone

Yellow cards: Kasim, Barry  Vincelot, Fleck

Attendance: 8309 (1664 away attendance)

Advertisement block