Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 17/10/2015

17 October 2015

Coventry City recorded their first 0-0 draw of the season against Blackpool at the Ricoh Arena in a game of few real clear cut chances.

Adam Armstrong had arguably the best chance of the game in the second half but he could not make contact with the ball when it was squared to him six yards out. 

City top scorer Armstrong made it straight back into the starting line up after his international duty. He came into the side along with Ryan Kent, the two coming in to replace Jim O'Brien and Ruben Lamerais in the Sky Blues' only changes from last week's Fleetwood game. 

The game was three minutes old when the Sky Blues had their first sight of goal. Marc-Antoine Fortune received the ball in the area with his back to goal. He turned his man and fired a shot across the face of goal, but the ball flashed wide of the far post. 

City were seeing much of the ball in the opening ten minutes but the visitors started making some chances of their own soon after, with Mark Cullen twice having shots blocked in the area. 

The Seasiders were looking to hit City on the break, but were largely untesting the City goal, save for a couple of weak efforts held well by Reice-Charles Cook. 

Midway through the half Sam Ricketts managed to get his head on a Kent corner but could only direct his header well over the bar. 

Armstrong hit a 30-yard curled effort well over a couple of minutes later as the Sky Blues looked to gain a stranglehold on what had been an even game. 

Despite not being known for his goalscoring, Chris Stokes nearly dispatched a sublime 25-yard effort ten minutes from the break, with goalkeeper Doyle at full stretch to turn the ball behind for a corner. 

From the flag kick, the ball eventually found its way to John Fleck, who hit a cross-cum-shot that unfortunately evaded everybody. 

The game was in danger of dying down as the half came to a close but it sprang back into life in the 43rd minute when an incisive passing attack from Stokes, Fleck and Murphy saw Fortune fling himself at a whipped cross in the area, but the ball didn't sit right and Doyle managed to claim. 

The half time whistle came and after a tense first 45, both teams went in level. 

The second half began at an end to end pace, with the best chance of the first five minutes falling to Armstrong, who somehow managed to miss the ball six yards out as it was played across to him. 

By far the best chance of the game fell to Cullen with just over 20 minutes to go. He managed to evade Johnson's lunge and was one-on-one, but he dragged his shot wide of the post with the goal gaping. 

With twenty minutes to go it was still anyones game and Murphy did his best to change that when he fired a fierce effort from 20 yards that Doyle spilled, but Armstrong couldn't quite capitalise. 

Sixty seconds later Fleck got his name in the referee's book and will subsequently miss Tuesday's trip to Rochdale. 

There was saddening scenes as Johnson was taken off injured with seven minutes remaining with what looked like a leg injury, he will be assessed during the week. 

Five minutes was added on by the fourth official, but there was to be no more chances as the visitors kept the ball in the corner to cling on to an away point. 

Focus now turns to Rochdale, where the Sky Blues will go next on Tuesday night. 

Attendance: 12,094 (450 Away) 


Coventry City: Charles-Cook, Ricketts ©, Martin, Johnson (Phillips 83'), Stokes, Murphy, Vincelot (Lamerais 68'), Fleck, Kent (Morris 78'), Fortune, Armstrong. 

Subs: Burge, O'Brien, G.Thomas, Tudgay. 

Blackpool: Doyle, Ferguson, McAlister, Robertson, Potts, Cullen, Redshaw (Thomas 63'), Cameron (Osayi-Samuel 79'), Aldred, Boyce, Cubero. 

Subs: Rivers, Oliver, Herron, Dunne, Letheren.

Advertisement block