Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 2-2 Doncaster Rovers - Adam Armstrong and John Fleck goals not enough for City

28 November 2015

The Sky Blues are unbeaten in 11 league games now after the 2-2 draw against in form Rovers...

Coventry City made it 11 games unbeaten in the league, matching the best run set in 1967 in the 2-2 draw with Doncaster Rovers at the Ricoh Arena.

Adam Armstrong’s 13th of the season gave City the lead at the break, before Nathan Tyson equalised. John Fleck scored a beauty before Tyson got his second with just over 15 minutes to play as three points slipped away from the Sky Blues.

It was a largely uneventful opening to the game, until Armstrong sparked the game into life with the well taken opener just before the half-hour mark.
Sam Ricketts picked the ball up 20-yards out on the right hand side and hit a low effort goalwards which was blocked, but the ball fell into the path of Armstrong and after a touch out of his feet, the striker hit a right-footed effort which found the bottom left corner – his fifth goal in as many games.

After that, the Sky Blues looked really dangerous and the momentum shifted in the contest. 

Armstrong could have netted again just five minutes after his first, when a lovely ball through from Ryan Kent released the Newcastle loanee one-on-one, but he couldn’t quite get the ball out of his feet when in a glorious position and he opted for a chip which sailed well over.

That was the last action before the half-time and three minutes into the second-half, City almost went 2-0 up when Jacob Murphy got the ball on the left of the area and smashed an effort into the side netting.

After dominating the start of the second-half, the Sky Blues were pegged back out of the blue in the 52nd minute. Andy Williams hit an effort which looked fairly harmless but the ball fell to Tyson and he tapped into an empty net from two-yards.

But City were ahead again just six minutes later, when Fleck picked the ball up 25-yards after an initial corner was headed away and unleashed a vicious low effort which whizzed into the bottom right corner.
Armstrong and Jim O’Brien then went close, both hitting efforts inches wide, before the Sky Blues were punished for a defensive error with just over 15 minutes to play and found themselves level.

The ball was given away cheaply and Tyson capitalised to slot the ball past Reice Charles-Cook into the bottom corner from ten-yards.

It became a bit scrappy after the second equaliser as both sides looked to get the upper hand, but in the four minutes of added time, Tyson almost grabbed a hat-trick as he tried his luck from 25-yards on the turn and the ball looped high into the air and back off the crossbar.

But the Sky Blues maintained their unbeaten home record for the season so far and are unbeaten in 11 league games.


Coventry City: Charles-Cook, Ricketts, Martin, Turner, Stokes, Vincelot, Fleck, Murphy, O’Brien, Kent, Armstrong.

Subs: Burge, Phillips, Haynes, Bigirimana, Lameiras, Tudgay, Fortune.

Doncaster Rovers: Stuckmann, Butler, Evina, Alcock, Taylor-Sinclair, Grant, Coppinger, Middleton, Tyson, Williams (Stewart 84), Mattioni (McCullough 23).

Subs: Marosi, Forrester, Mackenzie, McKay, Whitehouse.

Attendance: 11,885

Referee: L Swabey

Yellow cards: McCullough, Williams, Middleton, Evina.

Advertisement block