Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Gillingham 3-1 Coventry City - Late penalty condemns City to defeat

17 January 2015

The Sky Blues conceded three in the last ten minutes as a dubious late penalty swings the game at Priestfield

Coventry City conceded three late goals to fall to a 3-1 to Gillingham at Priestfield.

Gary Madine opened the scoring for the Sky Blues with a penalty before John Marquis tapped in to equalise with nine minutes remaining. Cody McDonald netted from a controversial penalty with three minutes to go before Jermaine McGlashan netted as the Sky Blues left Kent empty-handed.

After nine minutes, Ryan Allsop kept City level with a tremendous double save, the first was a good stop to deny former Sky Blue Cody McDonald from the edge of the area and the rebound fell to John Marquis six-yards out, but Allsop got a fingertip on what looked a certain goal.

City were then saved by the crossbar on 22 minutes when Jake Hessenthaler hit a magestic overhead kick from just inside the area which looped over Allsop onto the top of the woodwork.

But City began to control the game and had the lead on 34 minutes, when Danny Swanson cut inside from the right and beat three players before being chopped down in the area. The referee immediately pointed to the spot and Madine stepped up to slot the ball coolly into the bottom left-corner sending Stuart Nelson the wrong way.

That was the last action of the first-half and Gillingham came out revigourated after the break, creating a great chance when after a lovely run from Hessenthaler on the left, Pritchard blazed over from the winger's pull-back from the edge of the box when unmarked.

Conor Thomas then picked up a knock and was replaced by Adam Barton, but the Sky Blues were on the back-foot and the hosts should have equalised when Marquis headed wide from five-yards out unmarked.

But the hosts had the equaliser and Marquis finally got his goal, when Bradley Dack's effort was well saved by Allsop but the striker tapped in the rebound from six-yards.

City defended stoutly, but conceded a penalty with three minutes remaining as Ryan Haynes challenged McGlashan , but it did look as though the youngster made a perfect sliding challenge. 

McDonald dispatched the penalty in the top right corner and McGlashan made it three with a fierce shot from inside the area on 93 minutes to ensure the three points for the hosts.


Coventry City: Allsop, Willis, Webster, Martin, Haynes, Fleck, Thomas (Barton 66), Swanson (Finch 81), Jackson (Miller 77), Nouble, Madine. 

Subs: Burge, Lawton, Dion Kelly-Evans, G.Thomas.  

Gillingham: Nelson, Garmston, Egan, Ehmer, Loft, Hessenthaler, Marquis, McDonald, Pritchard (McGlashan 69), Dack, Hoyte. 

Subs: Morris (GK), Legge, Galbraith, Norris, Dickenson, Romeo. 

Yellow cards: Ehmer, Haynes

Attendance: 5141 (481 Sky Blues fans)

Referee: J. Linington

Advertisement block