Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 0-3 Swindon Town - City slip to defeat in front of the Sky cameras...

12 January 2015

City lose for the first time in four home games as table-topping Swindon beat the Sky Blues 3-0 at the Ricoh Arena...

Coventry City slipped to their first loss at the Ricoh Arena in four home games as they lost 3-0 against Swindon Town. Two goals from Andy Williams and a strike from substitute Jonathon Obika condemned the Sky Blues to defeat.

Manager Steven Pressley named three changes to the side that beat Walsall last Saturday. Andy Webster went into the side after illness ruled him out just before kick-off last Saturday, whilst Aaron Martin partnered him at the heart of the defence. Gary Madine also returned from a knee injury.

City had the first chance of the game after four minutes. Great play from Frank Nouble down the left hand side saw him find an opportunity to cross to Simeon Jackson, who's shot was well saved by Wes Foderingham.

It was a lively start from City, but the Robins took the lead after eight minutes from their first real attack of the game. A whipped ball in from Harry Toffolo was met by a bullet header from Andy Williams, who scored his 17th goal of the season.

The goal knocked City back from what was a bright start. Things got even worse for the Sky Blues when the Robins were awarded a penalty after 17 minutes. Louis Thompson got behind the back line and was brought down by Nouble, with referee Keith Stroud showing no hesitation.

Williams stepped up and sent Ryan Allsop the wrong way to double Swindon's lead, leaving City with a mountain to climb.

The Robins were showing why they have been top of SkyBet League One and almost made it three halfway through the first half. Toffolo again caused problems on the left hand side and put in a ball for Smith, who side-footed wide.

It was a tough half for the hosts who never really got going. However the second period started much brightly and they almost pulled a goal back sixty seconds into the restart.

Nouble muscled his way to the byline and played the ball across the face of goal, but Conor Thomas could not bundle the ball over the line.

It was a much better showing from the Sky Blues in the second half but they were unable to break down a stubborn Swindon defence, who had become progressively more defensive as the half wore on.

There was always the danger of being caught out as City went more and more forward and the Robins made it three with ten minutes to go against the run of play.

Allsop and Webster were involved in a mix-up, Webster tried to clear but substitute Jonathon Obika was there to finish from a tight angle and seal the win for the visitors.

It was a tough night for the Sky Blues, who will look to bounce back away at Gillingham on Saturday.

Attendance: 7098 (504 Away)


CoventryCity: Allsop (GK), Haynes, Martin, Webster, Pennington, C. Thomas, Fleck, O'Brien (Swanson 69'), Jackson (G. Thomas 80'), Nouble, Madine. 

Subs: Burge (GK), Willis, Barton, Finch, Miller

SwindonTown: Foderingham, N. Thompson, Byrne, Stephens, Turnbull, Gladwin, Smith (Obika 80'), Williams, Swift (Branco 65'), Toffolo, L. Thompson

Subs: Barker, Barthram, Belford, Rodgers, Hylton

Advertisement block