Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Hull City 5-0 Coventry City - Maddison shines in full 90 minute display as City suffer defeat

14 December 2015

The Sky Blues failed to convert a number of chances as the ruthless Tigers seal victory to go top of the Under-21s league...

Coventry City Under-21s suffered a 5-0 defeat against Hull City as James Maddison played a full 90 minutes at North Ferriby United.

Greg Olley and Jarrod Bowen netted braces for the home and Max Clark added a fifth as City failed to convert a host of opportunities.

The Tigers named a strong Under-21s side and they dominated the early stages. Greg Olley, impressive throughout the first 45 minutes, had a shot deflected over three minutes in before Jarrod Bowen's powerful effort was well saved from Corey Addai a minute later.

Five minutes later, the home side were ahead. Olley found space in the area and from the left-sided cross, his first-time finish found the bottom corner past Addai.

The Sky Blues almost responded immediately as George Thomas found Maddison on the edge of the area but his curling effort was well saved before Ryan Haynes had a low shot in the 18th minute.

Just before the half-hour mark, City were denied an equaliser. Jordan Shipley made a run down the left and took down Darragh Leahy's pass to play in Lateef Elford-Alliyu but the linesman raised his flag.

Six minutes before the break, Maddison almost produced the spectacular when he turned the defender three times to curl his effort just over with keeper Rory Watson stranded.

Hull doubled their lead on the stroke of half-time when Bowen tucked home from a left-sided cross which was poorly defended and he claimed a brace just after the break, tapping home an Olley cross.

Maddison continued to perform however, having several efforts saved in the space of two minutes after neat-play between him and George Thomas in the 50th minute. 

Thomas should have scored himself when he broke clear of the Hull defence but his low shot was well saved by Watson in the 57th minute before the home side added a fourth ten minutes later through the impressive Olley.

Shipley broke clear of the Hull defence with 20 minutes remaining but his powerful, low shot was well saved before Thomas forced Watson into another great save in the 74th minute.

Max Clark added a fifth with ten minutes remaining and despite late pressure from City, the Sky Blues couldn't find the break-through on a disappointing night.


Coventry City: Addai; Di. Kelly-Evans, Thompson, Harries, Leahy; Shipley (Whitmore 79), Maycock; G.Thomas, Maddison, Haynes (Albini 89); Elford-Alliyu (Bayliss 68).

Subs: Skuza, Sambou.

Hull City: Watson (GK), Clackstone, Tymon, Dixon, Barkworth, Rodgers, Annan (Hinchcliffe 76), Clark (McKenzie 87), Luer, Olley, Bowen (Jahraldo-Martin 72).

Subs: Bukran, Tombides.

Advertisement block