Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 1-1 Oldham Athletic - Last gasp equaliser sees City drop two points

19 December 2015

Aaron Martin's first for the club wasn't enough as Danny Philliskirk nodded in a last minute equaliser...

Coventry City were held to a 1-1 draw thanks to a last gasp equaliser from visitors Oldham Athletic. 

Aaron Martin had given the Sky Blues the lead after heading in from a Joe Cole corner, but Danny Philliskirk equalised in the last moments of injury time to snatch a draw for the visitors.

Romain Vincelot captained the side in place of the suspended Sam Ricketts, while Cole made his first start since the 4-3 win over Barnsley back in November. Aaron Phillips and Gael Bigirimana also returned to the starting XI.

Adam Armstrong almost gave the Sky Blues the perfect start right from the kick-off. After collecting the ball down the left Armstrong drove at pace towards the goal, hitting a right-footed shot which was deflected out for a corner.

City looked very comfortable from then on with Oldham offering very little attacking wise. However, half way into the first 45, Ben Turner limped off the pitch to be replaced by Ryan Haynes, after an innocuous fall.

The Sky Blues kept on probing for the opening goal and came close when Bigirimana released Ryan Kent down the left flank. The attacker sped into the area but he dragged his left-footed shot wide of the bottom right corner.

O’Brien had the chance to put Mowbray’s men ahead 12 minutes from the break as he cut in nicely from the right to hit a shot on his left but David Cornell saved comfortably. City continued to dominate but were unable to break the deadlock heading into the break.

The Sky Blues were out the gate quickly in the second half and took the lead just three minutes after the restart. Martin rose to head in at the back-post from a Cole corner.

The Latics almost pulled a goal back four minutes later as a mistake at the back allowed Jake Cassidy space in the box to unleash a shot, which was heading for the right corner but Reice-Charles-Cook managed to push the goal-bound effort out for a corner.

The stadium was in uproar 15 minutes into the half as the Sky Blues had a penalty waved away. Kent collected the ball on the left from Armstrong, the Liverpool loanee then made his way into the box but just as he was about to unleash his shot, the defender seemingly brought him down, but official David Webb was unmoved.

On the 69th minute James Maddison made his long-awaited return to first team action, after being out since August, coming on for Kent.

After a quiet last quarter of an hour, where the chances were few and far between, Oldham grabbed a late equaliser deep into the three minutes of injury time through Philliiskirk. The defender grabbed an unlikely equaliser for the Latics, heading over Charles-Cook from a last minute corner into the top left.

The game thus ended in a draw. While City have maintained their unbeaten home run, the Sky Blues' thoughts will be with Jimmy Hill's family.


Coventry City: Charles-Cook, Phillips, Martin, Turner (Haynes 26), Stokes, Bigirimana, Vincelot, Kent(Maddison 69), Cole(Fortune 58), O'Brien, Armstrong.

Subs: Burge, Di Kelly-Evans, Lameiras, Tudgay.

Oldham Athletic: Cornell, Dieng (Higdon 89), J Wilson, Kelly, Jones, Philliskirk, Cassidy (Poleon 74), Winchester, B Wilson, Eckersley, Wellens (Yeates 74).

Subs: Coleman, Mills, Vassell, Fulton.

Attendance: 15,419 (Away 259)

Referee: D Webb

Advertisement block