Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Chesterfield 1-1 Coventry City - James Maddison scores a stunner to rescue City point

28 December 2015

The Sky Blues left frustrated to only claim a point at the Proact Stadium as James Maddison scores late free-kick...

Coventry City's James Maddison rescued a point for the Sky Blues with his second goal in three days in a 1-1 draw against Chesterfield.

Lee Novak headed home to put the Spireites ahead in the first-half but Maddison scored a stunning free-kick to claim a point.

The Sky Blues had six changes to contend with and it took City time to get going in the first 45 minutes as Jim O'Brien had the first tame effort in the 7th minute.

Maddison made his first start since August for the Sky Blues and he almost put City ahead when Marc-Antoine Fortune held off Ian Evatt to cross for the Academy graduate but he placed his shot wide in the 9th minute.

Chesterfield began to influence the game with Sylvan Ebanks-Blake a particular problem for the City defence. After a lengthy stoppage due to an injury to Ian Evatt, captain Sam Morsy fired wide in the 33rd minute.

With five minutes remaining in the half, Chesterfield took the lead. Jay O'Shea's left-sided free-kick found substitute Lee Novak and his looping header found the top corner, over Reice Charles-Cook.

City almost replied straight away when Fortune met Kent's low cross but he put his effort wide and John Fleck had a long range effort tipped over by Tommy Lee in the final moments of the half.

City dominated the second-half and Maddison was at the centre of everything good for the away side. He received the ball on the edge of the area and after turning Liam O'Neil, he curled a powerful effort narrowly over.

Adam Armstrong and Jacob Murphy were introduced with 25 minutes remaining and Armstrong almost made an immediate impact when Jim O'Brien found him onside to race towards goal but he fired past the right-hand post.

Ryan Haynes had a half-volley blocked in the 68th minute before Chris Stokes headed over from a left-sided corner moments later. 

City boss Tony Mowbray was sent to stands with ten minutes remaining and probably enjoyed his view when Maddison fired the Sky Blues level in the 88th minute. He was taken down on the edge of the area by Morsy and he curled his free-kick to the top corner to send the away support into raptures.

The away side could have took all three points late on as Armstrong was played in by Maddison but his tame effort was well saved as the Sky Blues take a point.


Coventry City: Charles-Cook (GK), Phillips (Tudgay 77), Ricketts, Stokes, Haynes, Vincelot, Fleck, Kent (Murphy 65), Maddison, O'Brien, Fortune (Armstrong 65).

Subs: Burge (GK), Kelly-Evans, Lameiras, Bigirimana. 

Chesterfield: Lee (GK), O'Neil, Evatt (Novak 15), Hird, Wood, Herd, Morsy (C), Donohue, O'Shea (Dieseruvwe 61), Ariyibi, Ebanks-Blake.

Subs: Chapman (GK), Banks, Simons, Onovwigun, Harrison.

Att: 9057 (2660 away)

Yellow card(s): Morsy, Fleck, Maddison.

Advertisement block