Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 3-2 Crewe - Brilliant late Jim O'Brien winner makes it three from three for City

18 August 2015

The Sky Blues won their third League One game in a row and sit top of the table after a 3-2 win against the Alex at the Ricoh Arena...

Coventry City secured their third League One win in a row with a hard fought 3-2 win over Crewe Alexandra at the Ricoh Arena.

Goals from John Fleck, Adam Armstrong and a brilliant late Jim O'Brien winner ensured City were victorious in their first three league games of the season, a feat last achieved by the club in 1992.

The Sky Blues were dominant in the first-half and had a deserved lead on 14 minutes.

James Maddison whipped in a corner from the left and Crewe cleared, but Fleck steamed onto the loose ball to smash an effort in from just inside the area with the outside of his boot.

City continued to create chances but the game was put into perspective when on 15 minutes, both City fans and Crewe fans amicably took part in a minutes applause in memory of young supporter Jayden Parsons who lost his life last week.

The home side were then a fraction away from getting a penalty, when Armstrong was clipped literally on the line of the edge of the area.

Despite Tony Mowbray's sides dominance, Crewe had an equaliser on 30 minutes and it was a real bolt from the blue. Brad Inman picked the ball up and curled a beautiful effort over Lee Burge from just inside the area at an angle.

The second-half began with more City dominance and Armstrong continued his great form to net the second five minutes into the half. The striker picked the ball up in the area, cut onto his left foot and hit a high effort past Garratt into the net from six-yards. It was his fifth League One goal in just his third appearance for the club.

But immediately after, Crewe were level, when Marcus Haber latched onto a long ball, chested it down in the area and was able to poke the ball past Burge from five-yards.

Jacob Murphy then came on for Ruben Lameiras and he almost got an assist when on 65 minutes, he crossed to Armstrong from the right but from six-yards, the covering defender made an incredible block to deny the striker his second goal.

City continued to have the better of the play but struggled to create clear chances and went close again when Murphy found Stokes in the area and he blasted an effort which George Ray did excellently to block.

But City finally had the goal they deserved and it was a great strike from O'Brien with just under ten minutes to go. He got the ball 30-yards out, drove into space and smashed an effort into the bottom left corner. 

It was nothing more than the Sky Blues merited and the win means City sit top of the League One table with a 100 per cent record thus far.


Coventry City: Burge, Willis, Ricketts, Johnson, Stokes, O'Brien (Morris 90), Vincelot, Fleck, Lameiras (Murphy 59), Maddison (Tudgay 83), Armstrong.

Subs: Charles-Cook, Phillips, Martin, G.Thomas.

Crewe: Garratt, Turton, Guthrie, Ray, Nugent, Haber (Cooper 78), Inman, Fox, King, Bingham, Colclough (Dalla Valle 75).   

Subs: Richards, Atkinson, Saunders, Baillie, Wintle. 

Attendance: 11,511

Referee: T Robinson

Cards: N/A

Advertisement block