Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 15/08/2015

15 August 2015

Coventry City were 4-0 winners against Millwall at the Den largely thanks to a sensational first-half display.

Lee Burge saved a penalty before Adam Armstrong scored an unbelievable effort from distance, before Ruben Lameiras netted his first for the club. Armstrong netted again to make it 3-0 before half-time and Jim O'Brien added a late fourth to make it two wins from the opening two League One games.

The Sky Blues were under the cosh in the opening period and on three minutes, they were in trouble when Burge brought down Lee Gregory in the six-yard box and the referee had no hesitation to point to the spot. There was no card for the keeper, but Burge composed himself to make a great save to the left from Gregory's spot-kick.

The drama didn't stop there, as City had the lead just three minutes later. Armstrong picked the ball from around 30-yards out and hit an unbelievable lob over David Forde to give the Sky Blues the opener.

On 16 minutes, the Sky Blues deservedly had a second, when a great team move eventually fell to Maddison whose incisive no-look pass reached Lameiras in the area, he cut inside and slapped an effort in at the near post.

The football was scintillating and City were in dream land after 23 minutes and had a third, when Lameiras picked the ball up from deep and delayed his ball perfectly to let Armstrong run in onside and the 18-year old showed great composure to dink a lovely effort over the onrushing Forde.

City continued to keep the ball excellently as Milwall looked to press higher up the pitch and the Lameiras almost had his second when his cross from the right looped over Forde and hit the bar.

That was the end of a pulsating half of football and City began the second-half looking to improve on their already unassailable lead.

Just a minute into the half, Armstrong raced past his man and shot from 20-yards straight at the keeper, when Jim O'Brien was well placed on the far side. 

Jacob Murphy then came on for his debut, replacing James Maddison just after the hour mark.

The game calmed down dramtically but the Sky Blues had to deal with a spell of pressure, with Burge making another crucial save as he denied Gregory again who raced in one-on-one.

But O'Brien got the fourth with ten minutes to go, as he played a lovely one-two with substitute Marcus Tudgay in the area and he firmly planted the ball into the far left corner of the net.

That capped off an unbelievable away day for the travelling Sky Blue Army and was the last action of a brilliant performance.


Coventry City: Burge, Willis, Ricketts, Johnson, Stokes, O'Brien, Vincelot, Fleck, Lameiras (Tudgay 72), Maddison (Murphy 62), Armstrong (Thomas 83).

Subs: Charles-Cook, Phillips, Martin, Morris.

Millwall: Forde, Cummings, Craig, Williams, Upson (Cowan-Hall 77), Gregory, Onyedinma, Martin (Thompson 45), Beevers, Webster, Morison.

Subs: Archer, Hall, Marquis, Nelson, Powell.

Attendance: (Not announced)

Referee: A Wolmer

Yellow Cards: Maddison, Beevers, Williams, Thompson

Advertisement block