Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City Under 21s 2-2 Huddersfield Town - honours even at the Ricoh Arena

23 April 2015

The Sky Blues had led 2-0 but the Terriers pulled it back thanks to two second half goals in an entertaining contest...

Coventry City Under-21s drew 2-2 with Huddersfield Town at the Ricoh Arena in an absorbing game. Blair Turgott and a trialist made it 2-0 to City but the visitors pulled back the defecit in the second half.

There was no goalmouth action until the fourth minute, when Callum Charlton received a through ball and sprinted to the by-line but the trialist defender got across to block well.

James Maddison showed flashes of his potential a few minutes later when he went on a mazy dribble through the heart of the Huddersfield defence but his through ball to the attacking trialist was just overhit.

It was not until the 18th minute when another chance elapsed. A corner was half cleared and the ball fell to Al Bangura, who half-volleyed wide from the edge of the area.

It was an even game with City pressurising the Terriers up the field and continuing to play short, passing football from the back.

Ten minutes later they reaped the dividends of their pressing by opening the scoring. The attacking trialist burst into the box and layed it up for Blair Turgott, who finished emphatically from a tight angle.

Three minutes after the restart City doubled their lead. The attacking trialist picked up a failed back pass, before keeping his cool and sliding it past Lloyd Allinson.

There seemed to be a gulf in class between the two teams, as the second-placed visitors could not cope with City's slick passing and pressing game.

The second half started differently to the first, as Huddersfield went on the attack immediately. Good play and a first time cross gave Charlton a free header but he could only put it over the top of Reice Charles-Cook's net.

The visitors were gradually getting back into things and on 57 minutes they halved the defect. A cross was put in, Flo Bojaj headed it across goal and substitute Ronan Coughlan was there to force the ball home.

The match was a world away from City's first-half display and the Terriers nearly equalised when Coughlan pounced on substitute Ben Stevenson's error but fired narrowly wide.

It was one-way traffic as Huddersfield pushed for the equaliser that their second-half dominance probably deserved.

With three minutes to go the Terriers got their second. A corner was not dealt with properly and the defensive trialist could only clear off the line and into the air, before Joe Wilkinson nodded home from a yard out.

It was to be the last action of a gripping game that was definitely one of two halfs.

Coventry City U21s: Charles-Cook (GK), Trialist A (Dev. Kelly-Evans 85'), Lawton, Harries, Haynes, C. Thomas, Bangura, Finch (Stevenson 62'), Turgott, Maddison (Trialist C 45'), Trialist B.

Subs: Addai (GK), Stevenson, Spence, Dev. Kelly-Evans.

Huddersfield Town: Allison, Wilkinson, Carroll, Holmes, Horsfall, Boyle (C), Tronstad, Charlton, Coogans (Coughlan 45'), Bojaj, Billing.

Subs: Atkinson, Guthrie, Carroll, Pells.

Advertisement block