Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 1-1 Oldham - Reda Johnson nets dramatic late header to secure a valuable point

14 April 2015

The defender netted a bullet header in injury time to rescue a deserved point for the Sky Blues...

Reda Johnson was the hero as he netted a late equaliser to rescue a point for Coventry City in their 1-1 draw at the Ricoh Arena.

The Latics scored with their only shot on target as they frustrated the Sky Blues throughout, but Johnson netted in injury-time to earn the home side a share of the spoils.

The first real chance fell to City and it should have been the opener after seven minutes, when Chris Stokes swung in a delightful delivery from the left which was headed goalward by Johnson. The ball hit Nick Proschwitz two-yards out and Joel Coleman had to be alert to make a clever save to keep the scores level.

But the Latics had the lead after 12 minutes from a well worked free-kick which saw Carl Winchester in acres on the left and Danny Philliskirk met his cross to tap the ball in from six-yards.

Jim O'Brien was next to go close for City from 20-yards as his swerving effort forced Coleman into another good save.

From the resulting corner, Stokes appeared to be grappled at the back-post by Philliskirk but the referee was unmoved despite City players being convinced he should have pointed to the spot.

City continued to have the majority of possession before the break but failed to create a clear opening after the penalty shout.

The second-half started in a similar fashion as the City fans urged the side on in great voice and James Maddison replaced Adam Barton in an attacking move by Tony Mowbray after 56 minutes.

City battled on but the script remained the same, lots of possession but little penetration. Simeon Jackson came on for O'Brien in order to help force the issue and the Canadian should have scored shortly after coming on when Frank Nouble blasted one across the six-yard box but Jackson failed to make contact.

Maddison then had a chance with just under ten minutes to play as he danced around two defenders but his shot in the area deflected and forced Coleman into a good save at his near-post.

But Mowbray's men finally got the equaliser their play deserved as a long ball up found Nouble on the right and he dinked a lovely ball to the back-post where Johnson slammed in an unstoppable header from six-yards. 

The Sky Blues almost got the three points as they dominated six minutes of injury time, with Grant Ward forcing a decent save out of Coleman and Proschwitz flashed a drive from 20-yards narrowly wide.

But that was it as City took a deserved point against the Latics after a tense finale.


Coventry City: Burge, Willis (Odelusi 79), Pennington, Johnson, Stokes, Ward, Fleck, Barton (Maddison 56), Nouble, O'Brien (Jackson 67), Proschwitz. 

Subs: Charles-Cook, Martin, Phillips, C.Thomas.

Oldham Athletic: Coleman, Brown, Kelly (C), Jones, Poleon (Morgan-Smith 77), Philliskirk, Winchester (Kusunga 83), Ben Wilson, Lockwood, Brian Wilson, Turner (Murphy 67). 

Subs: Mellis, Wilkinson, Elokobi, Kusunga, Kean.

Referee: A Madley

Yellow cards: Pennington, Murphy, Jones, Morgan-Smith.

Attendance: 7256 (152 away)

Advertisement block