Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Coventry City 2-1 Yeovil Town

13 September 2014

Sky Blues make it back-to-back wins at the Ricoh Arena courtesy of strikes from Reda Johnson and Simeon Jackson

Coventry City made it back-to-back victories at the Ricoh Arena and lifted themselves into the play-off spots after goals from Reda Johnson and Simeon Jackson extended the Sky Blues' unbeaten run to seven games.

Johnson netted his third of the season with a powerful header after six minutes and Jackson came off the bench to grab the winner on 68 minutes after Sam Foley had levelled for the visitors five minutes after the restart.

City boss Steven Pressley rang just one change to the side that beat Gillingham 1-0 in the club's Ricoh Arena homecoming last Friday, bringing in Josh McQuoid to replace Marcus Tudgay.

The Sky Blues went close to opening the scoring early on when, after just three minutes, a corner from Jim O'Brien was unconvincingly punched clear by Chris Weale who recovered quickly to then keep out Andy Webster's half volley from the loose ball.

City's domination in the early spells was apparent though and it they took the lead just three minutes later courtesy of Johnson.

O'Brien delivered a menacing outswinging corner which met the Sky Blues skipper to power a header into the top corner past Weale.

O'Brien then nearly doubled the lead after ten minutes with a spectacular effort from 25 yards which had Weale beaten but rattled his crossbar.

Yeovil registered their first shot of the day on target after quarter of an hour when Sam Foley's free kick took a deflection through the City wall and found a waiting Ryan Allsop who adjusted himself for the deflection and made a routine save.

Frank Nouble threatened to get a second for the Sky Blues on 26 minutes when he received a ball down the right from Jordan Clarke, cut inside Aaron Martin and shrugged him off but toe'd his finish across the face of goal and inches wide of the far bottom corner he was aiming for.

The Glovers then went agonisingly close to a leveller just after the half hour when Kevin Dawson's floated cross found AJ Leitch-Smith whose acrobatic overhead kick smacked the face of Allsop's crossbar.

Allsop was required on 39 minutes but only to make a comfortable save when Foley's free kick delivery found a glancing head from Jakub Sokolik.

The Sky Blues started the second half with the same quick pace and look most likely to get on the scoresheet again but it was a goal out of nothing for Yeovil which levelled the score after 50 minutes.

A short through ball from Leitch-Smith found Foley who took one touch before stabbing the ball past Allsop from close range.

It was an equaliser that many could have considered harsh on the Sky Blues given their extended periods of dominance up to that point.

The Sky Blues restored their lead eight minutes after the hour though courtesy of half-time substitute Simeon Jackson who was running onto the Ricoh Arena pitch for the first time.

Nouble received a ball from Fleck and held up his man, turning and shooting just inside the Yeovil area which forced a parried save from Weale and then saw Jackson turn the loose ball into the net.

Jackson nearly got a second four minutes from time when, under pressure from his marker, he turned swiftly and fired at goal, beating Weale but seeing his effort pull fractionally wide of the far bottom corner.

City were then asked to see out four minutes of added time which they did convincingly to lift them up to fifth in the League One table.

Attendance: 11,085 (458 away)


Coventry City: Allsop, Clarke, Johnson (c), Willis (Hines 73), Webster, Haynes, O'Brien, Thomas, Fleck, McQuoid (Jackson 46), Nouble (Phillips 90)
Subs: Burge (GK), Pugh, Swanson, Tudgay

Yeovil Town: Weale, Smith, Edwards (c) (Ralph 73), Martin, Sokolik, Dawson, Hayter (Grant 49), Leitch-Smith, Foley (Moore 73), Price, Nugent
Subs: Krysiak (GK), Twumasi

Advertisement block