Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: COVENTRY CITY U-21'S 2-0 BRISTOL CITY U-21'S - Tudgay and George Thomas score in comfortable win

22 October 2014

A mixture of first team players and young prospects shone as Darren Murray's side dispatched the Robins at Liberty Way...

Coventry City Under-21's continued their fine start to their Professional Development League Two North campaign with a 2-0 win over Bristol City at Liberty Way.

A penalty from Marcus Tudgay and a second half strike from George Thomas was enough to seal the win after a fine all round team performance.

Bristol City had the first chance of the game after three minutes. Matthew Mattis found time in the area, but his shot was saved by Lee Burge, who got down well.

Both sides were finding it hard to maintain possession in the early stages, the two teams pressing the ball with a high intensity.

Mohamed Coulibaly showed quick feet in the midfield, and on nine minutes a quick step-over gave him space to get a shot away but it was blocked.

The Sky Blues' first real opportunity came after 13 minutes. A great cross-field pass found Dion Kelly-Evans and he fed Coulibaly, who exchanged a great one-two with Tudgay before lofting his shot just over the bar.

City were enjoying the lions share of possession, and after 20 minutes they won a penalty. Coulibaly and Tudgay linked once more, Tudgay's pass releasing Coulibaly on goal, and Lewis Hall brought him down, giving the referee little choice but to point to the spot.

Tudgay stepped up and dispatched the spot-kick high into the roof of the net, giving keeper David Richards no chance.

The goal gave City confidence and they were passing the ball along the floor supremely, with the midfield and attack linking well. Four minutes later, Tudgay was allowed to get within range and let fly from 25 yards, Richards gathering the ball at the second attempt.

The Sky Blues continued to dominate, with the visitors not being able to get a foothold in the match. City were comfortable to keep the ball in the centre of the park, without creating much in the final third.

With ten minutes to go in the first half a brilliant flick from George Thomas found Tudgay. He passed back to Thomas, whose low shot from the edge of the area was comfortably saved by Richards.

Bristol then hit the post from a set piece two minutes later. A whipped free kick from Jamie Horgan caused panic in the City defence. Mattis reached the ball first, but his sliding effort smacked the frame of the goal and bounced to safety.

The second half started in the same vein as the first. City continued to pressurise the visitors into mistakes and they doubled their lead seven minutes after the restart.

Coulibaly picked out George Thomas in the area, and he showed great forward play to finish low into the corner of the net.

City looked like they could run riot, and Tudgay almost made it three a minute later when he shrugged off a defensive challenge and attempted to curl one in from range. Richards got down low to push the ball to safety.

Bristol tried in vain for a response, and they almost got it on the hour. Captain Gus Mufuta was allowed time and hit a fizzing drive from 25 yards, the ball skimming past Burge's left-hand post.

As time ticked away, the same pattern as the first half emerged. City were comfortable in keeping possession, stretching the play to work Bristol down, with Burge being a virtual spectator in the Sky Blues' goal.

George Thomas forced another save from Richards with 20 minutes remaining when he shot straight at the keeper from just inside the box.

The Sky Blues were dominant in every area and their persistance in gaining the ball back presented Tudgay with an opportunity to seal the win. His touch brought him away from goal, but he did well to turn his man and shoot, with Richards saving well.
City continued to work hard right up until the final whistle, and were well worth the win.


Coventry City U21's: Burge, Di Kelly-Evans, Shipley (Spence 79'), Finch, Harries, Clarke ©, Coulibaly, C. Thomas (Stevenson 75'), G. Thomas, Tudgay (Whitmore 87'), Daniels

Substitutes: Richards, Albini

Bristol City U21's: Richards, Wynter, Hall, Mufuta ©, Vyner, Batten, Morrell, Murphy, Mattis, Fry (Last 78'), Horgan (Monelle 78')

Substitutes: Withey, Woolacott, Alexander

Advertisement block