Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 08/11/2014

8 November 2014

Coventry City were dumped out of the FA Cup after a shock 2-1 defeat to Worcester City.

A brace from Sean Geddes was enough to give the visitors an historic victory after Reda Johnson's late goal made it a frantic finale.

The Sky Blues named a strong side for the visit of the non-league outfit, with Simeon Jackson and James Maddison the only changes from City’s dramatic draw against Leyton Orient last weekend.

But it was the visitors who had the first chance, when Danny Jackman’s corner wasn’t cleared and the ball was narrowly diverted over the bar off a City body in the six-yard box.

Worcester had the better of the ball in the first-half and went close when Sean Geddes missed an excellent chance as he headed over the bar from eight-yards out.

But a moment of madness from City stopper Lee Burge presented the visitors with the chance to take the lead on 40 minutes, as the youngster was sent off after an altercation with Worcester striker Daniel Nti.

As a result, Ryan Allsop came on for Frank Nouble, but the ‘keeper was sent the wrong way by Geddes’ penalty as the non-league side took the lead.

But right on the stroke of half-time, City had a penalty of their own when Maddison evaded two challenges but was eventually chopped down in the box.

Skipper Johnson stepped up but his low shot to the left was well saved by Nathan Vaughan.

But the visitors started the second-half much like they started the first and Geddes got his second on 54 minutes. The striker picked the ball up 20-yards out before lashing a vicious strike past Allsop’s dive.

Jordan Willis then made way Josh McQuoid in an attacking move by manager Steven Pressley, but Worcester had another great chance when subsititute Nick Wright fired a right footed effort wide when unmarked from nine-yards out.

Marcus Tudgay then came on for Adam Barton on 65 minutes before a quick free-kick saw Maddison race through but his left-footed strike inside the area was well saved by Vaughan.

But City were back in the game on 81 minutes, when Maddison's excellent free-kick from next to the corner flag was nodded in by the unmarked Johnson at the back-post.

The goal provoked plenty of late City pressure, with defender Aaron Martin going the closest to levelling with a half-volley which skidded wide from the edge of the box. 

But it was in vain as the Sky Blues were defeated by the non-league side to crash out of the FA Cup first round.


Coventry City: Burge (GK); Willis (McQuoid 58), Johnson (C), Martin, Haynes; O'Brien, Finch, Barton (Tudgay 67), Maddison, Nouble (Allsop 40), Jackson.

Subs:  Webster, Thomas, Coulibaly, Phillips. 

Worcester City: Vaughan (GK); Williams, Weir, Hutchinson, Thomas, Jackman, Deeney, Symons (Wright 52), Murphy, Nti (Dunkley 75), Geddes (Gater 73).

Subs: Rowe, McDermott, Taylor, Kier.

Red Card(s): Burge 40

Yellow Card(s): Tudgay, Finch. Vaughan, Thomas, Deeney, Jackman.

Advertisement block