The club are calling on supporters to buy an extra present for children in hospital over Christmas which will delivered to them...
Coventry City Football Club are supporting an appeal to provide Christmas presents for local children and older people forced to spend the festive season in hospital.
The club is once again backing the 'Pack An Extra Present' scheme organised by the UHCW Charity – the charity for University Hospital, Coventry and the Hospital of St Cross, Rugby.
Coventry City are calling on supporters to buy an extra present for children, from newborns up to the age of 17, or over-65s which will be delivered to them in hospital on Christmas Day.
The unwrapped gifts can be dropped into the Coventry City Superstore at the Gallagher Retail Park or at the University Hospital Coventry.
The gifts will then be sorted into the relevant age groups and will be wrapped by staff. Donations of wrapping paper are also welcome.
Mark Hornby, head of marketing at Coventry City, said: “It is great to be getting involved in this campaign once again.
“We encouraged supporters to donate gifts last year and we were overwhelmed by their generosity.
“Christmas is a time of year when everybody expects to be at home with their friends and family, particularly children, but for some they must spend it in hospital.
“This campaign is so important as it ensures children still feel involved in the festive period when they are not able to be at home. We are also encouraging supporters to buy for older people too and hopefully it will prove just as successful as previous years and spread the Christmas cheer that can make a big difference in hospital at this time of year.”
Here’s how Sky Blues fans can get involved!
Step One: Who Would You Like To Buy A Gift For?
A baby aged 0-2yrs, (this includes the premature babies in our neonatal unit)
A boy or girl aged 3yrs – 5yrs (infant) or 6yrs – 12yrs (child) or 13 yrs – 17yrs (teenager)
An older person (aged 65 +)
Step Two: Choosing Your Gift
Here are some ideas for the gift you may like to buy:
For infants, children and teenagers:
• New Toys: soft toys, dolls, jigsaws, puzzles, board games, building bricks, bath toys, and cars
• Books: baby books (cardboard or cloth books), storybooks, non-fiction and annuals
• Toiletries: Bubble bath, novelty toothbrush, hair brush, comb, hair clips and bobbles, shower gel and deodorant set
• Clothing: First Christmas baby bibs, pyjamas, nightdresses, baby grows
• Educational Supplies: felt tip pens, pencils, pencil sharpener, eraser, colouring book, notepad, picture or puzzle book, pencil case stickers
• Accessories: clip on earrings, bangles, necklaces, sunglasses, caps, hats, scarves and gloves
• Music and entertainment: DVDs, CDs PS games and I-Tunes vouchers
• Confectionery: Selection boxes and tubes of sweets
However, please bear in mind that many children in hospital will not be able to enjoy confectionery.
Or for older people:
• Clothing: sensible slippers, gloves;scarves; pyjamas and night wear.
• Confectionery: boiled sweets, chocolates
• Books: puzzle/word search books and large print fiction books.
• Toiletries: Bubble bath, shower gel and deodorant set, moisturiser, aftershave, perfume, toothbrush, hair brush, comb and manicure sets.
Please note we cannot accept gifts such as:
• Second hand toys, electrical items or goods/gifts
• 18 certificate DVDs, CDs, games for PCs and games consoles
• Hand knitted/handmade stuffed toys without a CE mark
• Medicines, including holistic oils and massage creams
• War related items – toy guns, knives etc
• Clothing without CE certification
• Home made cakes, biscuits or sweets
• Fragile items - glass containers, mirrors etc.
Step Three: Wrapping Your Gift
To make sure your gift is received by a child who will get the most enjoyment from it, we ask that you do not wrap it up. But, please be assured we will wrap your gift before it is given out – donations of gift wrap are welcome!
If you prefer to wrap the gift, it is very important that you securely attach a label that tells us:
• If the gift is for a boy or girl
• The age the gift is best suited to (0-2yrs , 3yrs – 5yrs , 6yrs – 12 yrs, 13 yrs – 17yrs , 65 yrs + )
• What the gift is
Step Four: Dropping Off Your Gift
Fans can drop gifts off at the CCFC Superstore, Gallagher Retail Park from 9.30am-5.30pm (Monday-Saturday) or 10.30am-4.30pm on Sunday’s in the box in the Community Zone.
The club will ensure all presents are taken to the hospital.
Or it can be dropped it off to the hospital directly, Monday to Friday from 9.30am-4.30pm:
Clifford Bridge Road
Please drop your gift off by Tuesday, December 16.
If you prefer, you can make a donation to UHCW to use to buy gifts for the children and babies in their care this Christmas at www.uhcwcharity.org. Click on the ‘donate now’ button and write in your message that your donation is for Christmas gifts.