Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/03/2014

2 March 2014

Coventry City played out a goalless draw with Shrewsbury Town to share the points at Sixfields and break a run of three consecutive league defeats.

Chances were few and far between on a wet and windy afternoon which saw a return for long-term absentee and City top scorer Callum Wilson.

Sky Blues boss Steven Pressley rang three changes to the side that went down 3-1 to Tranmere Rovers the previous weekend.

Wilson returned to the front line having recovered from a shoulder injury alongside loan striker Chuba Akpom and full-back Jordan Willis at the expense of Carl Baker, Cyrus Christie and Billy Daniels.

The changes seemed to have the desired effect as City put together a very strong start, pressing the visitors from the off until Akpom registered the first effort of the day after four minutes with an effort he dragged just wide of the near post.

Despite the Sky Blues' thunderous start start thought it was Shrewsbury who were denied an opener after 21 minutes by a fine save from Joe Murphy.

Dan Seaborne was caught in possession by Nathaniel Mendez-Laing who squared a short ball to Tom Eaves who got his effort on target but could not beat Murphy was point blank range eight yards out.

There was no doubt as to who was in charge of the first half though. The Sky Blues produced far more creatively as they stuck to playing their football on the floor, an approach which nearly broke the deadlock with three minutes of the half to go.

Willis read a crossfield pass to cut it out and rush into Shrewsbury's half before playing a through ball to Akpom. The striker then squared a pass to Moussa who hit a first time shot from 20 yards which went just wide of the far post.

The opening stages of the second half were by contract mmore of a fencing contest as both sides battled in midfield although neither could find a cutting edge.

City went close on the hour though when Petrasso slipped a short through ball to Akpom who cut inside but fired into the side netting.

Shrewsbury went evencloser three minutes later when Paul Parry stretched the Sky Blues back four with a ball down the line for Ryan Woods who crossed into the heart of the six yard box only to see Tom Eaves head wide from close range.

As the half drew though momentum continued to swing City's way as their share of possession continued to rise.

The possession very nearly fashioned a goal with 13 minutes to go when a deep ball from substitute Mark Marshall picked out Wilson to head into the path of Patrasso who lashed a shot just over the bar from 18 yards.

Murphy was forced into a good save with just two minutes to go though when Shrews sub Bahrudin Atajic cut across the City area and fired at goal with the City 'keeper parrying the effort away.

It was the last real effort of the game though as four minutes of added time came and went as the Sky Blues had to settle for a point to break a run of three consecutive league defeats.

Attendance: 1,966 (391 away)


Coventry City: Murphy, Webster, Willis, Seaborne (c), Clarke, Moussa (Marshall 60), Fleck, Thomas, Petrasso, Akpom (Baker 72), Wilson
Subs: Burge (GK), Christie, Adams, McGeouch, Daniels

Shrewsbury Town: Anyon, McAllister, Taylor, Mkandawire (c), Parry (Jacobson 89), Goldson, Mendez-Laing (Storey 43), Woods, Eaves (Atajic 81), Mills, Hall
Subs: Weale (GK), Grandison, Winfield, Smith

Advertisement block