Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

MATCH REPORT: Swindon Town 1-1 Coventry City

30 August 2014

Sky Blues make it four games unbeaten in the league after picking up a well-earned point in stalemate at the County Ground

Coventry City claimed a well-earned point against Swindon Town at the County Ground as they stretched their undefeated league run to four games.

Josh McQuoid netted his second of the season five minutes before half time but Raphael Rossi-Branco headed the Robins level after 71 minutes.

Boss Steven Pressley rang two changes for the clash with the Robins, bringing in Conor Thomas and Aaron Phillips to replace Danny Swanson and the unavailable Jordan Clarke who was hit by a late bout of illness.

For all of the slick passing on show in the first half though, the desire to keep the ball on the floor from both sides saw them cancel each other out.

It was 38 minutes before the first effort was registered on target and it went Swindon's way when Msssimo Luongo was slipped through to go one-on-one with Ryan Allsop who denied him an opener with a fine leg save.

After a first half of relative inactivity in either area, City found themselves in front five minutes before the break.

The home side were caught out by a lightning quick counter attack from the Sky Blues, Jim O'Brien receiving a ball on the right before sweeping a pass crossfield to pick out Josh McQuoid who rounded Swindon 'keeper Wes Foderingham and finished calmly.

The home side then rounded off the half with a free kick effort from skipper Yaser Kasim but it only found the chest of a resolute Allsop as City closed out the first 45 minutes with a slender advantage.

The game started to open up after the restart with Swindon needing an equaliser but their attempts to push forward again left them vunerable at the back and City nearly capitalised after 55 minutes.

Good interplay between Marcus Tudgay and McQuoid saw the latter get to the byline and pull a ball back for his strike partner who could only shoot marginally wide of the far post.

The Sky Blues could not have come much closer to getting a second though five minutes after the hour when a Jim O'Brien corner found Andy Webster whose powerful header looked goalbound only to be cleared off the line by a sprawling save from Foderingham.

Rather than the Sky Blues doubling their lead though it was Swindon who levelled things up after 72 minutes as the game took on a frantic pace.

Nathan Byrne swung a cross into the heart of City's six-yard box and Rossi-Branco was on hand to drive a low header past Allsop.

The goal gave the home side the impetus to push forward and they enjoyed a lengthy of pressure which twice nearly saw them take the lead, first when Kasim's free kick on the edge of the area went just over the bar with eight minutes to go and then when Rossi-Branco glanced a header over the bar from a corner.

The Sky Blues managed to get on top in the closing stages and had the better chances in four minutes of added time but neither side could find the crucial breakthrough as they both took a share of the spoils.

Attendance: 7,299 


Coventry City: Allsop, Webster, Johnson (c), Willis, Haynes, Phillips, C Thomas, O'Brien, Fleck, Tudgay (Jackson 61), McQuoid (Miller 61, Swanson 86)
Subs: Burge (GK), Coulibaly, Finch

Swindon Town: Foderingham, Byrne, Luongo, Turnbull, Kasim (c), Waldon (Barker 63), Williams, B Smith, Lenan, Thompson, Rossi-Branco
Subs: Belford (GK), Reeves, Barthram, Marshall, Holland

Advertisement block