Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 16/08/2014

16 August 2014

Coventry City recorded their first win of the new League One season after Jim O'Brien's first goal for the Sky Blues saw them beat Sheffield United 1-0 at Sixfields.

O'Brien nodded home the winner with 13 minutes to go from a measured cross from Ryan Haynes. 

Boss Steven Pressley rang four changes to the side that went down 2-1 to Cardiff City in the Capital One Cup on Wednesday night, bringing in Ryan Allsop, Haynes, captain Reda Johnson and Marcus Tudgay to replace Lee Burge, Jack Finch, Billy Daniels and the injured Danny Pugh.

United were denied an opener after 15 minutes by an incrdible reflex save from Ryan Allsop. Ben Davies got down the right and beat Ryan Haynes before floating a cross into the box for skipper Michael Higdon who directed a powerful header from six yards out only to see Allsop turn it over his bar.

The Sky Blues registered their first effort on target three minutes after the half hour though when Danny Swanson was brought down and Jim O'Brien steped up to take the free kick, curling the ball up and over the wall but not with enough sting to trouble Blades 'keeper Mark Howard.

That effort sparked another pair of opportunities over the next three minutes, first when Swanson dribbled his way into a shooting position and tried to curl an effort into the top corner only for Howard to be equal to it to parry it behind.

From the resulting corner delivery Johnson then went close with a glancing header which was on it's way into the far bottom corner only to be poked away by Craig Alcock.

Haynes then got down the right after a great releasing ball from Swanson and whipped in a deep cross for Jordan Clarke who powered a header just over the bar.

The Sky Blues maintained the momentum they built after the restart and were largely the dominant of the two sides, limited United to minor skirmishes out of their own half.

Swanson then tried to get his range in with an effort from 25 yards but it flew over the bar.

O'Brien then had another chance from a deadball on 65 minutes after a foul on sub Shaun Miller earned Rob Harris a yellow card. O'Brien's effort again beat the wall but again drew a solid save from Howard.

Miller then did well to dispossess Davies moments later and send in a through ball to send Tudgay on his way who blasted just over from a tight angle.

The Sky Blues got the goal they deserved 14 minutes from time though. Haynes whipped in another pinpoint delivery that picked out Jim O'Brien eight yards out to head past Howard, 

Attendance: 2,279 (931 away)


Coventry City: Allsop, Webster, Johnson (c), Willis, Clarke, Haynes, O'Brien, Swanson (Daniels 74), Fleck (Thomas 83), Tudgay, McQuoid (Miller 61)
Subs: Burge (GK), Coulibaly, Phillips, Finch

Sheffield Utd: Howard, Alcock, Harris, Basham, Flynn (Baxter 60), Murphy, Scougall (McEveley 60), Davies, McHale, Higdon (c), Reed (Doyle 70)
Subs: McNulty, Collins, Campbell-Ryce, Turner

Advertisement block