Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 18/04/2014

18 April 2014

Coventry City saw a vital point snatched away from them at the death at Sixfields as they were beaten 2-1 by Swindon Town.

Alex Pritchard swept home a close range finish after eight minutes to give the Robins the advantage but John Fleck fired a low shot past Wes Foderingham three minutes before the break to make it honours even.

Michael Smith though glanced home a headed winner with just a minute of added time to go to put the Sky Blues five points above the bottom four.

City boss Steven Pressley rang three changes to his side for the Good Friday tie, bringing skipper Carl Baker, Nathan Delfouneso and Conor Thomas back into the starting line up.

They found themselves behind after just eight minutes though when a lofted ball over the top stuck to Michael Smith whose lay off to Pritchard saw him sweep home from ten yards.

Callum Wilson almost levelled for City four minutes later when a low near post delivery from Baker picked him out to whip a first time effort at goal, only to see the ball hit the side netting.

Jay McEveley then almost inadvertently got a second for Swindon with an inswinging corner delivery which almost crept inside the back post.

Joe Murphy was needed for the Sky Blues after 37 minutes though to palm Massimo Luongo's long range effort over the bar.

City got their equaliser though on 42 minutes when Fleck picked up a ball 20 yards out and fired low just inside the foot of Fotheringham's far post and send City into the break on level pegging.

Pressley's men had been clearly buoyed by their goal and came out for the second half on top.

For all of the midfield battling though there were few clear cut chances to speak of until seven minutes after the hour when Smith bustled Andy Webster off the ball and headed goalwards only to be denied by a leg save from Murphy.

City nearly grabbed a winner four minutes from time though through substitute Nathan Eccleston who was only denied by a last ditch clearance from Jack Stephens. Cyrus Christie cut in from the right and whipped a ball across the area for Eccleston to poke towards goal only for Stephens to scoop the ball away with Fotheringham already beaten.

It was the Robins who had the last say though when Pritchard spung a counter attack down the right and swung in a delivery which met Smith to glance home a header from close range and snatch all the points for the visitors.

Attendance: 3,091 (1,092 away)


Coventry City: Murphy, Webster, Clarke, Christie, Willis, Baker (c) (McGeouch 70), Fleck, Thomas, Prutton, Delfouneso (Eccleston 68), Wilson
Subs: Burge (GK), Adams, Seaborne, Marshall, Robinson

Swindon Town: Foderingham, Thompson (c), Byrne, Luongo, Pritchard, McEveley, Smith, Branco, Gladwin (Storer 86), Stephens, Archibald-Henville
Subs: Belford (GK), Harley, Waldon, Barthram, Cox, Barker

Advertisement block