Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 29/03/2013

29 March 2013

Coventry City cast aside a turbulent week off the pitch to record a second consecutive home win over League One table toppers Doncaster Rovers.

They did it style as well with a stunning first half performance that yielded Cyrus Christie's 13th minute winner as City did the double of Rovers to put a bump in the visitors' attempts to consolidate their automatic promotion spot.

City boss Steven Pressley rang three changes to his starting line up for home clash with high-flying Rovers, bringing in Adam Barton, Carl Baker and Callum Ball to replace Gary McSheffrey, Cody McDonald and the injured Steven Jennings.

The changes seemed to have the desired for the Sky Blues as they ran the opening ten minutes with some neat passages of play that stretched Doncaster.

It took 12 minutes before a shot on target was registered though when Franck Moussa was brought down 25 yards out and Baker's free-kick effort to a deflection on its way into the arms of Gary Woods.

City fans inly have to wait another 60 seconds for City to take the lead though when a superb switching pass from Jordan Stewart picked out Cyrsu Christie on the right, the full back cutting inside James Husband to get into the area before firing home inside the near post under the body of Woods from ten yards.

Stewart's deliveries caused problems for Doncaster again on 18 minutes when his first time deep cross from the left found Ball whose header was picked from under the bar by Woods.

The visitors first real flash of a threat came after 20 minutes when Iain Hume held up a long ball on the edge of the City area and laid it off for Husband whose shot took a deflection off Aaron Martin and looped up, Joe Murphy needing to be at full stretch to tip the ball over the bar.

Woods was required at the other end just before the half hour when a great piece of link up play between Moussa, Stewart and James Bailey finished with Stewart back heeling the ball into the path of Moussa whose low shot was gathered by the Rovers 'keeper.

David Cotterill reminded the Sky Blues to remain on their toes at the back though when his stinging drive from 25 yards needed to be parried away by Murphy after 34 minutes.

The effort did little to swing the momentum of the game though and City's fluid passing and domination of possession made it clear who was in charge in the first half, no less when Adam Barton attempted a half volley from 30 yards with three minutes of the half to go that dipped just too late and nearly skimmed the crossbar.

Rovers got their second half off to a good start though when Cotterill tested Murphy from the corner of the area three minutes after the restart, Murphy having to push the ball across goal and away from danger.

The visitors then thought they were level a minute later when James Coppinger latched onto a through ball and dinked a finish over Murphy only for the goal to be ruled out for offside.

City went closer on 55 minutes though when Christie burst down the right and lashed in a high cross-cum-shot which beat Woods but rattled his crossbar.

Coppinger continued to provide a relevant threat for Rovers when, two minutes after the hour he picked up a ball over the top down the left and fired in a waist height first time cross which found Jamie McCombe who could only guide the ball over the crossbar from eight yards.

Substitute Dean Furman gave City fans a scare though on 67 minutes when he swung a boot at a loose ball from 25 yards and watched as his effort smacked the foot of Murphy's near post and went behind.

Coppinger also swung in another dangerous delivery with six minutes to go into the heart of the City area which Furman got his head to but could only send over.

It was a matter of inches moments later when Cotterill did well to break into the City area and send a goalbound shot past Murphy only for Aaron Martin to provide the vital touch to steer the ball behind for a corner.

Cotterill went close again from that corner, picking it up short and working his way across the edge of the area before sending a curling effort just over the bar.


Coventry City: Murphy, Stewart, Martin, Edjenguele, Christie, Moussa, Bailey, Fleck (Thomas 89), Barton, Baker (c) (Bell 82), Ball (Wilson 70)
Subs: Dunn (GK), J Clarke, McDonald, McSheffrey

Doncaster Rovers: Woods, Husband (Furman 45), Jones (c), Brown, Cotterill, Lundstram, Spurr, McCombe, Hume (Bennett 66), Griffin, Coppinger
Subs: Sullivan (GK), Paynter, Wakefield, Sinclair, Harper

Referee: M Halsey
Assistant Referees: L Betts, M Wilkes
Fourth Official: C Berry

Advertisement block