Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 02/03/2013

2 March 2013

Coventry City surrendered the earliest of leads to go down 2-1 to Swindon Town at the Ricoh Arena.

The Sky Blues got off to a flyer after a minute when they made the most of a defensive error to allow Moussa to extend his goal tally to five for the season.

Late strikes earned Swindon all three points though when Andy Williams levelled with five minutes to go and Darren Ward netted a headed winner in the 89th minute.

Interim City boss Lee Carsley resisted the urge to tinker with a winning formula and named an unchanged starting lineup from the one that beat Bournemouth 2-0 away from home in midweek.

He got his just rewards with the game just a minute old when James Bailey caught Nathan Thompson in possession deep in his own half and layed the ball off to Moussa who fired past Wes Foderingham from the edge of the area.

It could have been two after 15 minutes when Carl Baker did well down the right to swing in a deep cross for Gary McSheffrey at the back post, the delivery going over the head of Aden Flint and finding its way to the City midfielder who tried to trap the ball only for it to squirm under his boot and behind for a corner.

Joe Murphy was required at the other end two minutes later as Swindon launched a counter attack down the left wing with Gary Roberts who played Andy Williams on the overlap.

Williams got inside the area before cutting back to Simon Ferry whose shot from 15 yards was pushed over the bar by Murphy.

It was Williams who went close three minutes before the half hour though when he shrugged off the attention of Nathan Cameron and steamed through on goal only to tap his attempted finish past Murphy inches wide of the post.

Murphy was then required to pull off some heroic goalkeeping to keep City in front nine minutes before the break when Williams again got the better of Cameron in the area and stabbed a ball past Murphy which hit the inside of the post and rolled across the goalline, Murphy then dashing to the far post to block Williams' second attempted finish and send the ball over his bar.

The Sky Blues overcame the waves of pressure from the visitors though and wenyt close again themselves on 40 minutes when Carl Dickinson rushed into midfield to pick up a loose ball before lashing a 30-yard effort just wide of the post.

Leon Clarke then held his head in his hands a minute later when Carl Baker's deep corner found him at the back post to head downwards but wide.

Swindon started the second half with an attempt on goal nine minutes after the restart when Alan McCormack's effort from just inside the area was tipped over the bar by Murphy.

It was 66 minutes before another effort was registered on goal and it took a spectacular stop from Foderingham to keep City from doubling their advantage when a menacing cross from the right from Baker was met by the head of Clarke who powered the ball towards goal from six yards only to look in disbelief as Foderingham kept it out.

The save seemed to galvanise Swindon who then put together a spell of pressure that saw the Sky Blues produce backs-to-the-wall defending to keep the visitors at bay.

They got their equaliser with five minutes to go though, substitute Adam Rooney doing the hard work to allow Williams the opportunity to tap home a scrappy equaliser.

Rooney shrugged off Cameron and Christie to poke a shot at goal, Murphy saving the initial shot but City unable to clear the loose ball as Williams snuck in to tap home just three yards from goal.

No sooner had the visitors got their leveller they then went onto get their second with a minute of the game to go when substitute Luke Rooney's corner delivery picked out Ward to head home from six yards.

Attendance: 14,280 (3,000 away)


Coventry City: Murphy, Dickinson, Martin, Cameron, Christie, Moussa, Bailey, Baker (c), McSheffrey (Bell 78), Jennings, L Clarke
Subs: Dunn (GK), J Clarke, Thomas, McDonald, Fleck, Edjenguele

Swindon Town: Foderingham, McEveley, Flint, Ferry (L Rooney 65), Collins (A Rooney 71), Roberts (De Vita 81), McCormack (c), Thompson, Williams, Miller, Ward
Subs: Bedwell (GK), Devera, Navarro, Thompson  

Advertisement block