City travel to Arnhem for their pre-season tour and here are ten facts about the City...
Coventry City travel to Holland for their pre-season tour in preparation for the 2013/14 League One season.
Steven Pressley’s side will be based near the Dutch city of Arnhem and before you travel out to support the Sky Blues, we thought we would assemble some facts about the Sky Blues’ base.
Ten facts about Arnhem:
1. The earliest settlement in Arnhem dates from 1500 BC.
2. Arnhem is twinned with Coventry, as well as the London Borough of Croydon and Wuhan, China.
3. The Netherlands Open Air Museum is located just outside the city. It includes antique houses, farms, and factories from different parts of the Netherlands.
4. Burgers' Zoo is one of the biggest and most-visited zoo’s in the Netherlands, featuring an underwater walkthrough, desert, mangrove and rainforest.
5. Èrnem is the name of the city in the historical local dialect, South Guelderish.
6. Arnhem is located on the banks of both the River Nederrijn as well as on the Sint-Jansbeek.
7. During World War II, the Battle of Arnhem took place in September 1944, with the intention of securing vital bridges in the town to allow further progress for Allied Forces. After a 9 day long battle, the small 1st Airbourne Division were withdrawn after being overwhelmed.
8. The 1977 film ‘A Bridge Too Far’ was based on the Battle of Arnhem. It was directed by Richard Attenborough and starred, amongst others, Dick Bogarde, Michael Caine and Sean Connery.
9. The KEMA Toren (formerly known as SEP Control Tower) is a 140 foot high TV tower and is the highest structure of the town.
10. The City’s football side, Vitesse Arnhem, achieved 4th spot in the Eredivisie last season which will see them compete in the Europa League next season.