Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 21/12/2013

21 December 2013

Coventry City fell to defeat at Swindon Town as the home side scored two goals in the last 15 minutes to claim victory.

Leon Clarke gave the Sky Blues a deserved 50th minute lead but Town subs Yaser Kasim and Miles Storey won it for Swindon.

There was one change for Coventry City as loan striker Chris Dagnall came in for Callum Wilson to face Swindon Town.

It was an even start to the game, with chances at a premium in the opening quarter of an hour.

The Sky Blues could be pleased with their early work, however, with Cyrus Christie and Carl Baker providing a threat down the right.

Leon Clarke had the first effort on target - a header from a Baker cross - but it was comfortably saved by Wes Foderingham.

Massimo Luongo tried his luck from 25 yards but was repelled by keeper Joe Murphy in the 12th minute and Franck Moussa did likewise at the other end and Foderingham saved.

The best opportunity of the opening 20 minutes fell to Luongo just inside the area but he flashed wide. At the other end, Moussa fizzed a shot just wide of the post.

Chris Dagnall combined well with Leon Clarke in the 26th minute and the on-loan Barnsley striker curled a shot from just outside the box which Foderingham saved.

Then, just as Nile Ranger looked set to break clear down the Coventry right, Conor Thomas produced an outstanding tackle to stop him in his tracks.

The Sky Blues produced a patient build-up in the 33rd minute which led to a cross from Cyrus Christie. Leon Clarke got his toe to the ball but prodded it just wide.

Three minutes later it was a cross from the left by Blair Adams that almost led to the opening goal but Clarke nodded just wide of the upright.

City had limited Swindon to very few opportunities but Ryan Mason got a sight of goal three minutes before the break. His effort was well saved by Joe Murphy.

Swindon almost took the lead at the start of the second half but Murphy produced an excellent reflex save to keep out Ranger.

And it proved vital as Pressley's side went ahead seconds later. Baker crossed from the right and Leon Clarke dived full length to head the ball into the back of the net in the 50th minute.

Swindon immediately went in search of an equaliser and Jordan Clarke produced a goal-line clearance and then, moments later, Alex Pritchard fired over the top.

Just as the home side appeared to be coming back into it, the Sky Blues calmed the game down and enjoyed a good spell of possession, forcing a couple of corners in the process.

Ranger had a half-chance in the 70th minute but his header from 12 yards was saved by Murphy.

Baker nearly wrapped up the points for the SkY Blues with 15 minutes left but his low shot was turned on to the post by Foderingham.

But Swindon drew level in the 76th minute when the ball flew to the edge of the area and substitute Yaser Kasim volleyed past Murphy, who appeared wrong-footed by the effort.

Moussa broke clear at the other end in a bid to restore the lead but his shot was saved low down by Foderingham.

Miles Storey brought a good save out of Murphy with ten minutes left as the City keeper stopped it with his legs and then Baker's left foot effort at the other end was stopped by Foderingham.

John Fleck rattled the crossbar with a 30 yard rasper but, with four minutes to go, Swindon took the lead.

Storey bustled his way through and, as Murphy advanced, he lifted it over the Coventry keeper and into the net.

Attedance: 9,291 (1,219 Sky Blue Army)


Coventry City: Murphy, Adams (Maguire 87), Christie, Seaborne, J Clarke, Moussa, Baker (c), Fleck, Thomas, Dagnall, L Clarke
Subs: Burge (GK), Webster, Haynes, Phillips, Daniels, Barton 

Swindon Town: Foderingham, Byrne, Luongo, Hall, Harley (Storey 70), Mason (Kasim 45), Ranger, Pritchard, McEveley (Barthram 45), Ward (c), Ajose
Subs: Belford (GK), N'Guessan, Thompson, Gladwin

Advertisement block