Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Tranmere Rovers v Coventry City

15 September 2012

Tranmere 2-0 Coventry City

Coventry City's search for their first league win of the season goes on as Jake Cassidy and Andy Robinson seal the points for Tranmere.

Despite controlling the vast majority of the game, Tranmere scored twice in the last fifteen minutes as the Wolves loanee Jake Cassidy and Player of the Month Andy Robinson sealed the points for Rovers.

Richard Shaw stuck with the same team which lost against Stevenage with John Fleck returning from injury, earning a place on the bench.

The home side were coming into the game with plenty of confidence with Ronnie Moore and Andy Robinson winning Manager and Player of the Month respectively.

But despite the recent acculades, it was Coventry who started brighter. David McGoldrick flashed a shot wide after good work from Adam Barton in the 7th minute and after a neat through ball by Baker, Elliott almost got in before a good challenge from Ash Taylor.

It was Baker who came closest to opening the scoring early on when he turned inside two Tranmere Rovers defenders and fired an effort narrowly wide of Owain Fon Williams'left-hand goalpost.

Coventry continued to press forward with the lively loanee David McGoldrick running clear of the Tranmere defence only for Taylor to slide it at the last moment in the 24th minute. 

After the half-hour mark, Tranmere began to wield the influence which has seen them rise to second in the table this season. Jean Akra-Akpro found himself free in the area after a Bell-Baggie cross but he put his effort over the bar in the 40th minute. 

It was Jake Cassidy who had the last chance of the half with Bell-Baggie once again provding excellent service to the back-post, but the Wolves loanee couldn't get the vital touch before the half-time whistle.

Coventry came out for the second-half with the same attacking mentality with which they had started the first. Barton was the first to test the Tranmere defence with his left-footed effort going wide whilst Baker fired his free-kick over the bar in the first 10 minutes of the second half.

Baker had two more chances shortly after as he fired wide a 25-yard shot before his header hit the post from a Stephen Elliott cross in the 61st minute.

Barton drove a fierce effort from 35-yards but it was well saved before Tranmere took control of the game in the last 15 minutes.

James Wallace was able to slide through Jake Cassidy with a neat through ball and the Wolves loanee somehow found the back of the net with the outside of his boot in the 79th minute.

Coventry tried to respond but were hit with a cruel blow as Andy Robinson doubled Tranmere's lead late on with a classy finish into the bottom corner from a Bell-Baggie cross in the 83rd minute.

The Sky Blues battled on for the last ten minutes with John Fleck, Gary McSheffrey and Roy O'Donovan coming on but the search for the first win of the season goes on.


Coventry City: Murphy, Clarke, Edjenguele, Wood, Hussey, Baker, Jennings, Barton, Elliott, Kilbane, McGoldrick.

Subs: Dunn, Daniels, Brown, McSheffrey, McDonald, O'Donovan, Fleck.

Tranmere Rovers: Fon Williams, Holmes, Taylor, Palmer, Wallace, Cassidy, Robinson, Bakayogo, Gibson, Bell-Baggie, Akra-Akpro.

Subs: Thompson, Harrison, Kirby, Stockton, Kay, Golobart, Mooney

Advertisement block