Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

York City 0 Coventry City 4

9 October 2012

The Sky Blues continue their run in the JPT after an emphatic win...

Coventry City sailed into the last eight of the Northern section of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy after a commanding win over York City at Bootham Crescent.

The Sky Blues fired in four second half goals after a scoreless first 45 minutes, David McGoldrick grabbing a double along with strikes from Callum Ball and second half substitute Chris Hussey. 

City boss Mark Robins made just one change to the side that beat Bournemouth 1-0 at the Ricoh Arena at the weekend, bringing in Ball for Adam Barton to make an apparent switch to the 4-4-2 system that served the Sky Blues so well against the Cherries.

It was York that got off to the quick start though when Matty Blair slipped in behind the back four but could only shoot against Joe Murphy's legs at the near post in the first minute.

City returned the favour though on their next attack when a sweeping crossfield ball from James Bailey found John Fleck on the left flank, the Scotsman firing first time from just inside the area with 'keeper Michael Ingham making a comfortable save.

Carl Baker then went close after five minutes, his twisting run into the box fooling Jamal Fyfield but his touch to the whipped in cross from Ball glancing just wide of the far post.

Blair went close again for York two minutes later when Oli Johnson raced to the byline to cut back a ball for the striker who tried to backheel the ball into the net but was denied by a block from Nathan Cameron.

In fast paced first ten minutes it was straight up the other end again as Baker tried a curled effort from the edge of the area that Ingham tipped around his post for a corner.

Richard Wood then got in on the act as a short corner ended with a delivery from Baker which found the central defender to header downwards at goal, Ingham rooted to his spot but still managing a flailing arm to beat the ball away.

The pace of the game calmed slightly for the next ten minutes but it burst into life again after 21 minutes when Jason Walker latched onto a through ball and lashed a shot across the face of goal and just wide of the foot of Murphy's far post.

And Fleck went just as close a minute later when he picked up a ball from David McGoldrick and curled a shot from the edge of the area just around the post with Ingham having already given up trying to stop it.

Jamal Fyfield was only denied the opener by a last-ditch tackle from Cyrus Christie after 32 minutes.

Christie came on to replace Wood who suffered a cheekbone injury on the half hour and his first contribution of note was to get his boot in the way of Fyfield's stabbed effort from four yards out after Oli Johnson headed a deep cross back into the box.

McGoldrick went close three minutes after the break when he took a first touch that took three York players out of the game before bending a shot that needed a deflection to steer it wide.

Fleck then made himself available for the short corner before sending a delivery in the box that found Ball, the striker heading downward and just wide from six yards.

City got the opener two minutes before the hour though with a clinical piece of finishing from McGoldrick.

He intercepted a stray pass from Jon Challinor and curled home a finish just inside the post from 20 yards as Ingham tried to get back to his goal.

He nearly got a second straight after when he latched onto a pass from James Bailey and fired low just wide of the post.

Baker went just as close on 63 minutes when his 25-yard drive moved in the air and flew just over the crossbar.

The Sky Blues then displayed more predatory finishing on 72 minutes, this time through Ball, as Bailey caught Scott Kerr in possession 30 yards out and slipped a ball into the strike who stayed calm and slotted home past Ingham.

City then wrapped up the tie with nine minutes to go when a quickly taken free kick from Baker picked out McGoldrick to fire home from a tight angle with the help of a stray boot from Fyfield.

York thought they had clawed back a consolation goal back with three minutes to go when a deep cross found substitute Clarke Carlisle.

The veteran defender launched his header goalwards with fellow sub Jamie Reed getting the next touch to try and turn the ball over the line only for Murphy to get enough of a touch to slow the ball and allow the Sky Blues to clear.

Robins' side made it four with their own sub with a minute to go though when Hussey raced onto a goal kick from Murphy and fired home a superb finish from just inside the area, threading a powerful drive in off the far post to put a cherry on the top of the Sky Blues' cup night.

Attendance: 2,771 (374 Sky Blue Army)


Coventry City: Murphy, Clarke, Wood (Christie 30), Cameron, Reckord, Bailey, Moussa (Hussey 75), Baker (c), Fleck (Jennings 73), Ball, McGoldrick
Subs: Dunn (GK), Elliott

York City: Ingham, C Smith (c), Kerr (Reed 74), Walker, Chambers, Johnson (Parslow 67), Fyfield, Blair, Challinor, Doig (Carlisle 51), Kearns
Subs: Musselwhite (GK), J Smith

Bookings: Baker (COV), 

Referee: Geoff Eltingham
Assistant Referees: Anthony Tankard, Nigel Smith
Fourth Official: Geoff Liddle

Advertisement block