Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Swindon Town v Coventry City

13 October 2012

The Sky Blues saw a two goal lead whittled away at Swindon as they picked up an away point.

David McGoldrick struck twice to take his tally to seven and make it five games unbeaten for Mark Robins side – but the City manager will be disappointed his side did not hang on for a win..

City, unchanged from their win over York in midweek, did the damage in the first half with McGoldrick in red hot form.

The on-loan striker twice combined with John Fleck to find the net agians Paolo Di Canio’s men. The home side were out of the blocks faster and could have gone in front in only the second minute.

Jay McEveley got free on the overlap and crossed in from the left flank. Matt Ritchie arrived well at the far post and headed back across goal. For a second it looked is if it might find the net but it struck the post bounced before being hacked clear.

It was an early shock for City but they recovered well and just a minute later Callum Ball fired a thunderous 25 yard effort. They continued to press the home side back and won a corner John Fleck landed right in the hard of the Town area.

That pressure paid off in fine style in the 13th minute. City won a free kick on the left 10 yards from the area. Swindon posted a two man wall but Fleck curled his free kick perfectly and it was met by David McGoldrick whose head angled into the net past Wes Foderingham.

That unsurprisingly spurred Swindon to come again and Paul Benson fired over the bar when really he should have hit the target.Fleck was causing Swindon serious problems down the left hand side and was clearly in confident mood.

He went close again in the 28th minute when he tried and ambitious effort which curled into the side netting with Foderingham scurrying across goal.

Joe Murphy went into the referee’s book on the half hour for kicking the ball clear after the official’s whistle had sounded.John Bostock – on loan from Tottenham – worked a good opening two minutes later but skewed his shot wide of goal.

But while the home team were having more of the territory, City were looking constantly dangerous. Seven minutes from the interval they got a second.

Again it was the Fleck-McGoldrick combination. The Scotsman’s corner was only half cleared the striker managed to react first to power the ball in with the help of a deflection.

Still they had to be awake the back and three minutes later Murphy pulled off a fine save to deny Bostock.

City must have expected Swindon to really come at them after the break but it took them time to build up their momentum.

The Sky Blues commitment was underlined by two nasty looking injuries which forced Robins to make two changes.

Firstly Richard Wood picked up yet another bloodied nose before Fleck fell heavily after a challenge from Nathan Thompson.

He lain prone for several minutes before being lifted on to a stretcher and being carried off.

Gradually the home side began to work up a head of steam and the warning signs were there before Gary Roberts turned in a low shot in the 72nd minute.

But that stage, Swindon had thrown on James Collins – a Coventry kid – and he made the most of his chance when, with 11 minutes late, he lashed high into the net.


CoventryCity: Murphy, Clarke, Wood (Edjenguele 66),Cameron, Reckord, Bailey, Moussa), Baker (c), Fleck (Hussey 73), Ball, McGoldrick. 
Subs: Dunn (GK), Elliott, Jennings, Henderson.

SwindonTown: Foderingham; Thompson, Flint, Ward, McEveley; Ritchie (Navarro 63), Ferry, Miller, Roberts; Benson (Collins 59),  Thompson, Bostock (Rooney 51). 
Subs: Bedwell, Archibald-Henville, Bessone, De Vita,.

Advertisement block