Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Leyton Orient v Coventry City

27 October 2012

City claim the points at Orient...

Coventry City arrested a run of two consecutive defeats with three points at the Matchroom Stadium thanks to David McGoldrick's ninth goal of the season

The on-loan striker netted the only goal of the game in North East London after six minutes to give Mark Robin's men a deserved win in difficult conditions.

Robins responded to his side's disappointing midweek defeat away to Brentford by ringing five changes to his starting line-up against Orient.

William Edjenguele, Cyrus Christie, James Bailey, Carl Baker and Gary McSheffrey were all welcomed back into the side at the expense of an injured Nathan Cameron, Jordan Clarke, Franck Moussa, Chris Hussey and Callum Ball.

The changes seemed to have the desired effect for City who took the lead with their first real attack after just six minutes.

Carl Baker's effort at goal from the corner of the area was saved but spilled by Orient 'keeper Ryan Allsop, allowing McGoldrick to pick up the loose ball, round the shotstopper and tuck the ball away.

It took the home side until the 16th minute to craft their first opportunity when a cross from the left from Ryan Brunt saught out David Mooney in the six-yard area only for the delivery to be foiled by a hooked clearance from Edjenguele.

Scott Wagstaff then tried his luck from 25 yards after a deceptive set piece on 24 minutes, his effort drifting over Joe Murphy's crossbar.

Dean Cox did the same thing two minutes later when Mooney got around Richard Wood and flashed a cross into the box, Cox hitting it first time but not connecting properly and spinning his shot high overthe bar.

City then went straight up the other end on their very next attack and were inches away from doubling their advantage.

McSheffrey put Nathan Clarke under pressure to the point where he dispossessed him just inside the area and was left one-on-one with Allsop.

The Sky Blues striker opted for the early shot though, trying to bend a finish araound the 'keeper but bending it around the far post as well.

Murphy then produced a simply stunning save two minutes after the half hour when a long ball beat the head of Jamie Reckord and found the head of Wagstaff whose looping effort had to be clawed out of the goalmouth by the City shotstopper at full stretch.

Mooney was on hand with the follow up from six yards out but blasted high over the bar.  

The Sky Blues nearly got a second again though in the minute of added on time when McSheffrey broke away and fired a half volley which was palmed away by Allsop into the path of Baker whose effort was cut out by a last ditch tackle from Ben Chorley.

City then picked up where the left off after the break when McSheffrey cut back a short pass at the byline which just evaded the onrushing James Bailey.

McGoldrick then tried an ambitious half volley from 30-yards which Allsop went to ground to save comfortably.

Clarke went close for the O's on 53 minutes though when he glanced a floated dead ball delivery just wide of Murphy's far post.

McSheffrey then went just as close just before the hour when his cross threatened to find the inside of the back post post but for a tip away from Allsop.

Orient started to enjoy more possession midway through the second half as they pushed for an equaliser and they nearly got it with 20 minutes to go when Mooney whipped in a cross across the six-yard area which Wagstaff tried to meet at the back post but issed by inches.

Mooney then could not have come much closer to grabbing an equaliser in the last minute of normal time when he beat the offside trap and poked a shot at goal only to have to watch as the ball rolled agonisingly wide.

The hosts continued to pile on the pressure as the game ticked away to a close and City tried to quell the pace of the game by replacing McGoldrick with Stephen Elliott as the game moved into injury time, although the Sky Blues only needed to hold on for a few more seconds before referee Tim Robinson blew for full time.

Attendance; 4,741 (1,172 Sky Blue Army)


Coventry City: Murphy, Wood, Edjenguele, Reckord, Christie, Bailey, Jennings, Baker (c), Fleck, McSheffrey (Moussa 72), McGoldrick (Elliott 90)
Subs: Dunn (GK), Clarke, McDonald, Willis, Henderson

Leyton Orient: Allsop, Sawyer, Chorley, Cox (Cook 67), Griffith, Clarke (c), Odubajo, Rowlands, Brunt (Symes 72), Wagstaff, Mooney
Subs: Jones (GK), McSweeney, Baudry, Smith, James

Bookings: McGoldrick (COV), Clarke (LEY) Chorley (LEY)

Referee: Tim Robinson
Assistant Referees: Neil Davies, Adrian Gillett
Fourth Official: John Scott

Advertisement block