Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Coventry City v MK Dons

2 October 2012

Coventry City picked up a point at the Ricoh Arena after an entertaining draw with MK Dons.

Richard Wood gave the Sky Blues a first half lead with Dons' Stephen Gleeson grabbing a fortunate equaliser just before the break.

Wood fired a close range header past Dons 'keeper David Martin after 33 minutes with Gleeson getting the visitors back on an even keel with four minutes of the half to go.

City boss Mark Robins was forced into making changes from the side that beat Oldham on Saturday, bringing in Cyrus Christie and William Edjenguele to replace the injured Jordan Clarke and Reece Brown with Adam Barton coming in for Conor Henderson.

The Sky Blues started at an encouraging pace and carved out an opening with the game just two minutes old when David McGoldrick cut a ball back for Carl Baker whose half volley was kept out by the quick hands of David Martin.

Richard Wood then sent a header just over the bar from Baker's delivery at the resulting corner to draw some early applause from the City faithful.

The Sky Blue Army were then up in arms along with Robins after six minutes when claims of handball from Antony Kay in the Dons area were waved away.

City were nearly caught out two minutes later though when a short backpass from Richard Wood to Joe Murphy was intercepted by Charlie MacDonald who tried to knock the ball around the City 'keeper when clean through, only for William Edjenguele to track back and spare any defensive blushes.

McGoldrick forced a good sabe out of Martin with Coventry's very next attack, a superb crossfield ball from Baker picking out the striker who fired low, Martin palming the ball out for a corner.

Another fine flowing move from the Sky Blues then saw Franck Moussa go close after 13 minutes. Some excellent one-touch football involving Adam Barton, Baker and McGoldrick allowed Baker to float a ball into the area punched away by Martin as far as Moussa who sliced his half volley just wide.

It was dominance from the hosts for the first 15 minutes of the game as Baker went a whisker away just moments later after a cross from Gary McSheffrey, the skipper taking one touch before putting his effort from 15 yards just over.

It was Dons who went the closest of the first half hour though when, after 29 minutes, MacDonald chested a cross which took him round Wood before hitting a half volley which struck the outside of Murphy's post.

City were caught again moments later when MacDonald dropped into space inside the area to pick up a chipped cross only to mishit his final effort which handed Murphy a comfortable low save.

The Sky Blues got the goal their early display deserved though three minutes after the half hour when a superb corner delivery from McSheffrey found wood in the six-yard area to power a header past Martin.

They were dealt a cruel blow four minutes before half time though as Dons got back on level terms with an equaliser City could do little about.

A loose ball came to Gleeson 20 yards which he fired low, the ball taking a deflection through traffic on the edge of the area and finding its way past a wrong-footed Murphy.

Bowditch went close five minutes into the second half, doing well to keep a crossfield ball in play under pressure from Christie and then ruching towards goal and unleashing a 20-yard effort just wide of Murphy's far post.

City did the same two minutes later when Baker cut inside his marker on the right flank and swung in a left-footed cross aimed for McGoldrick who flicked a header just over the bar with his back to goal.

Dons looked certain to grab a second through MacDonald five minutes after the hour when he was presented with the ball four yards out, Murphy out of position and Edjenguele on the floor.

The City defender did remarkably well though as he denied the Dons striker while still on the floor on the goal line, getting a boot to the ball to help clear the danger.

Dons 'keeper Martin needed to pick a ball from under his crossbar with 12 minutes to go when substitute Callum Ball's looping header looked to sneak in under the woodwork.

But that was the last real threatening action of the game as the Sky Blues picked up another point.

Attendance: 9,848 (697 away)


Coventry City: Murphy, Christie, Wood, Edjenguele (Cameron 68), Baker (c), Barton (Ball 78), McSheffrey (Fleck 68), Bailey, Moussa, McGoldrick  
Subs: Dunn (GK), Hussey, Willis, Henderson

MK Dons: Martin, Otsemobor, Lewington, Williams, Gleeson, Potter, Bowditch, MacDonald (Smith 79), Powell (Lowe 90), Kay, Chadwick (O'Shea 72)
Subs: McLoughlin (GK), Kouo-Doumbe, Chicksen, Allen

Bookings: McSheffrey (COV), Otsemobor (MKD)

Referee: R Madley
Assistant Referees: I Rathbone, J Farries
Fourth Official: C Knowles

Advertisement block