Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Coventry City 1-0 Bournemouth

6 October 2012

Coventry record their first home win of the season...

Coventry City moved out of the bottom four with their first home league win of the season thanks to David McGoldrick's second half strike.

The City hitman netted his third goal in the last four home games to hand the Sky Blues their first three-point haul infront of a home crowd this season.

City boss Mark Robins made three changes to the side that picked up a point against MK Dons at the Ricoh Arena in midweek, starting Nathan Cameron, Jordan Clarke and John Fleck in place of Gary McShefrey, Cyrus Christie and the injured William Edjenguele.

The opening were relatively even although it was the visitors who registered the first two efforts of the opening five minutes when Lewis Grabban headed over and Shaun MacDonald sent his 20-yard effort in the same direction.

City thought they had opened the scoring after eight minutes when Franck Moussa's shot took a deflection off Simon Francis into the path of McGoldrick who slotted home only for the goal to be ruled out as the striker was adjudged to be offside at the time of Moussa's initial effort.

There was no hint of offside for McGoldrick's next effort though on 18 minutes, shooting at an acute angle from just inside the area with Cherries 'keeper David James beating the ball away.

Grabban went close for Bournemouth three minutes before the half hour when Adam Barton was dispossessed in midfield, allowing the visitors to go on the counter-attack with Grabban firing into Murphy's side netting.

Barton went just as close on 35 minutes, receiving a ball from John Fleck just inside the opposition half and running towards goal before firing a shot a whisker over the bar from just outside the area.

The Sky Blues started the second half off brightly when Moussa's shot from just inside the area was parried by James, almost into the path of the waiting McGoldrick.

Half-time sub Callum Ball then nearly got on the end of a dangerous cross whipped across the face of goal by Fleck.

McGoldrick went close again just moments after, picking up a flick on from Ball and trying to bend the ball around James who tipped it round his post.

Richard Wood then got in on the offensive onslaught from the resulting corner as he powered a header against the bar from Baker's delivery.

Murphy was required to be on his toes at the opposite end on 55 minutes though when MacDonald slashed at a half volley which threatened to drop under the crossbar, the City shotstopper tipping the ball over the bar.

He was needed again on the hour when MacDonald's short through ball found Lee Barnard who was denied by a smart low one-handed save by Murphy from eight yards out.

The Sky Blues finally unlocked the Bournemouth back four a minute later though after a fantastic piece of play between the front two.

McGoldrick played a short ball to Ball who took a touch before flicking the ball over the head of the Miles Addison into the path of his strike partner coolly tapped the ball past James.

The visitors, who were then leapfrogged in the table by the Sky Blues following the goal, pushed in an atempt to find an equaliser but to no avail as City saw out the reminder of normal time plus an added three minutes to make it seven points from their last three games.

Attendance: 10,458 (740 away)


Coventry City: Murphy, Clarke, Wood, Cameron, Reckord, Baker (c), Barton (Ball 45), Fleck, Moussa, Bailey, McGoldrick (Elliott 89)
Subs: Dunn (GK), Hussey, Jennings, Christie, Brown

Bournemouth: James, Francis, Pugh, Daniels, Elphick, MacDonald (Tubbs 75), Grabban, Addison (c), Hughes, Barnard (Fletcher 81), Carmichael (Partington 50)
Subs: Jalal (GK), Cook, Zubar, O'Kane

Bookings: N/A

Referee: J Adcock
Assistant Referees: D Plowright, O Yates
Fourth Official: A Hendley

Advertisement block