Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Club News

Nuneaton 1-0 Coventry City

28 July 2012

City suffer pre-season friendly defeat to Nuneaton at Liberty Way

The Sky Blues slipped to defeat in their fifth pre-season friendly after Kyle Perry's solitary goal handed Nuneaton Town a home win.

After a goalless first half in which both sides had chances to take the lead, it was Perry who netted the decisive goal early in the second half.

Both sides had their chances to open the scoring in the first half as Shaun Jeffers and William Edjenguele both forced saves out of Ben McNamara while at the other end Wes York hit the bar for the hosts.

York's chance came after 18 minutes when a swung in free kick found him lurking at the back of the area so cut in and connect with a volley that only found the bar with Chris Dunn beaten.

New City loan signing registered the Sky Blues' first effort on target of the half after 20 minutes when he glanced a header from Gary Deegan's delivery only for McNamara to get comfortably under it.

Former City midfielder Adam Walker then had a glorious chance to put the hosts ahead when he found himself unmarked in the box to connect with a floated cross frtom the right from York, Walker never really connecting with the header and sending it well wide from ten yards out.

At the other end Edjenguele almost fired City infront as he fired through a crowd of players in the area after picking up Chris Hussey's corner delivery, McNamara getting down quickly to save.

York, who looked constantly dangerous for Nuneaton throughout the first half then broke away on 23 minutes and tried to get around Hussey on a counter attack only to fire a shot into the net from a tight angle.

City trialist Bruno Cazarine then managed to get himself into a position to test the 'keeper on the half hour when he connected with a cross from the right from Shaun Jeffers only to steer his volley just over the bar.

He then nearly provided for Jeffers six minutes before half tiem when he slipped a low cross across the six-yard box which avoided Jeffers by inches as he raced towards the far post.

Jeffers had his and City's best chance of the half to open the scoring a minute later when Callum Ball headed a ball back across goal to Jefferd who headed at goal from six yards out only for the effort not to be powerful enough to beat the reactions of McNamara.

It was the hosts who took the lead 11 minutes after the break though when a cut backfrom York found Kyle Perry six yards out to tap home past Chris Dunn.

James Armson then nearly made it two with his flicked header that bounced off the bar two minutes after the hour.

The half time introduction of Cody McDonald did seem to inject a bit of life into the Sky Blues though and he could have had an equaliser in the final ten minutes, latching onto a ball over the top and firing across substitute goalkeeper Neil Collett only to see his effort smack off the inside of the far post.

He then attempted to play in Halili in the final five minutes but the winger was swarmed on receiving the ball and saw his evential shot blocked, the final oportunity of the game for the Sky Blues.

Team: Dunn, Pegg, Hussey, Brown (Henderson 76), Edjenguele, Deegan, Garner, Jeffers (Roberts 45), Halili, Ball (McDonald 45), Cazarine (Wiseman 60)
Subs: Burge, Moore-Azille

Advertisement block