Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

Match Report : 25/08/2012

25 August 2012

Coventry City had to settle for a point against Bury after surrendering a two-goal lead to the Shakers at the Ricoh Arena.

Adam Barton opened the scoring for City with a 25-yard screamer after 18 minutes with Carl Baker's bullet free kick making it two eight minutes later.

Bury came back though with a David Healy penalty on 54 minutes with substitute Lenell John-Lewis headed the leveller eight minutes after the hour.

Boss Andy Thorn stuck with the side that earned a point at home to Sheffield United on Tuesday and he was repaid by his players in the opening 45 minutes as they limited the visiting Shakers to barely a sniff at goal.

City started quickly, earning four consecutive corners in the opening two minutes and very nearly led from one of them when Kevin Malaga headed just over from Baker's left sided delivery.

Chris Hussey showed his desire to get forward early on as well and registered a shot at goal after six minutes but, at long range and on a tight angle, it proved a comfortable save for Bury skipper and shot stopper Trevor Carson.

Cody McDonald then very nearly opened the scoring for City after six minutes when he latched onto a headed flick on from strike partner Stephen Elliott, beating two defenders but not Carson who saved with his legs.

McDonald and Malaga went close again from the resulting corner when Baker's delivery caused a scramble in the area, both City players trying to get a toe to the ball but Bury managing to scramble away.

The opener came on 18 minutes though in fine fashion when Barton received the ball nearly 30 yards out, letting it run before smashing a shot across and past Carson.

McDonald was a whisker away six minutes later, dragging a shot inches wide of the post.

But Baker got a deserved for City after McDonald was fouled on the edge of the area, the midfielder stepping up to smash a low free kick into the bottom corner.

The visitors started the second half on a higher note though when, five minutes after the restart, Mark Cullen dragged a shot across goal and just wide.

Bury were level four minutes later though when Healy was bundled over just inside the area by Richard Wood, the referee pointing to the spot and Healy getting to his feet to tuck the ball into the bottom corner and just beyond the reach of Joe Murphy.

The goal seemed to galvanise the Shakers who came forward with more purpose after their first goal, getting their reward on 68 minutes.

Joe Skarz whipped in a cross from the left for substitute John-Lewis who got infront of his marker to glance a header past Murphy to level the scores.

Gary McSheffrey had a good chance to reinstate City's lead with nine minutes to goal, picking up the ball 20 yards out, selling a dummy to Mark Hughes and cutting into the area before firing a shot straight at Carson.

Cullem was also inches away from poking home a third for Bury with a minute to go when John-Lewis tapped a ball across the six-yard box just beyond the reach of his strike partner.

That was the last action of a tense affair which extended the Sky Blues' unbeaten run to four games.

Attendance: 10,285 (633 away)

Coventry City: Murphy, Hussey, Malaga, Wood, Brown, Baker (McSheffrey 68), Barton, Jennings, Kilbane (c), Elliott, McDonald (Ball 68) 
Subs: Dunn (GK), O'Donovan, Edjenguele, Willis, Daniels
Bury: Carson (c), Skarz, Byrne (Marshall 58) , Lockwood, Sweeney, Jones (Elford-Alliyu, Carrington, Hughes, Cullen, Jones, Healy (John-Lewis 61)
Subs: Dibble (GK), Picken, Bishop, Harrop

Advertisement block