Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy tickets
06 November 2021 Venue The Coventry Building Society Arena Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - Championship

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT: Sky Blues 3-2 Bristol City

Matty Godden snatches the three points with last-gasp winner...

6 November 2021

The Sky Blues snatched the three points from Bristol City in the last seconds of the game this afternoon with a late 3-2 victory at the Coventry Building Society Arena.

The visitors went into half time with the advantage from Chris Martin's penalty, and despite a second Bristol City goal of the game from Andreas Weimann, Mark Robins' side fantastically fought back through goals from Callum O'Hare and Matty Godden.

Before kick-off, both sides paid tribute to Armed Forces past and present, as well as remembering the Coventry Blitz as part of today’s annual Remembrance game.

The Sky Blues immediately established themselves in the contest as Gus Hamer latched onto a stray pass from Bristol’s George Tanner, and the Coventry City midfielder stung the palms of goalkeeper Daniel Bentley with a long-range strike to force a corner, which was eventually defended by the visitors.

During an end-to-end opening few moments, the referee waved away shouts of a penalty for Bristol City on five minutes as Callum O’Dowda sprinted through on goal but was dispossessed by the onrushing Simon Moore.

A free-kick on the right flank of the opposition half at the quarter-hour mark saw Hamer float in a dangerous cross for McFadzean, who headed across the penalty area, but no-one in Sky Blue was there to take the opportunity.

An Ian Maatsen corner got the home crowd off their seats shortly afterwards when he whipped an effort towards the back post for Michael Rose to head towards goal, however two successive blocks from the header and Callum O’Hare’s follow-up strike evaded the danger for Bristol.

Another wave of Sky Blus attacks shortly followed, as the ball broke for a chance for Hamer once more on 22 minutes, although his shot was deflected behind for another corner for the visitors to defend.

Ben Sheaf looked to get in on the action when O’Hare bravely won possession and picked out Sheaf on the edge of the area, but he was closed down quicky and The Robins made the block.

Goalkeeper Simon Moore confidently dealt with a couple of Bristol attempts on goal shortly following 30 minutes, as Tyreeq Bakinson darted a shot from distance into the reach of Moore, before Tanner’s teasing cross minutes later was claimed by Moore, jumping highest.

The visitors were awarded a penalty only seconds before half-time when O’Dowda was brought down under the challenge of Maatsen, as the Sky Blues man was also dealt a red card. Chris Martin then put his side in the lead by converting the penalty as a result.

Another superb save by Moore prevented Bristol from doubling their advantage seconds later, but the referee soon blew his whistle to draw the first half to a close.

HALF TIME: Sky Blues 0-1 Bristol City

Mark Robins opted for one change at half-time in Maatsen’s absence, as Jake Clarke-Salter made way for Todd Kane amid a reshuffle in defence.

Only moments after the restart, Viktor Gyökeres valiantly drove through the heart of Bristol’s defence before being brought down among a sea of bodies inside the penalty area – the referee awarding a penalty as a result. It was Matty Godden who then smashed the ball past the grasp of Bentley into the right side of the net from the penalty spot to mark a fantastic start to the second half.

To the roar of the Sky Blue home support, City were back on level terms once more but were in the search of another goal in quick succession; Godden soon played a one-two with Kane and then found Gyökeres at the back post, but the Swedish striker couldn’t connect properly with his header.

Bristol City’s Alex Scott fizzed a curling effort from a free-kick on the left edge of the Sky Blues’ penalty area on 64 minutes towards the far corner of the net, however the strike sailed wide.

The visitors put themselves into the lead once more on 67 minutes when Bakinson’s shot was parried by Moore, but Martin latched onto the rebound to play in Weimann who scored to give Bristol City the advantage.

However, the Sky Blues provided an excellent response only moments later as Callum O’Hare smashed home his first goal of the season to send the Coventry Building Society Arena into raptures, as The Robins could only clear a corner as far as O’Hare who made no mistake with his shot to level the scores once more.

Both sides battled for possession in a very lively end to the game, but it was the Sky Blues who brilliantly snatched the three points in the very last seconds of the contest through Matty Godden’s effort to power the ball into the back of the net at close range.

FULL TIME: Sky Blues 3-2 Bristol City


Scorers: Chris Martin (45+1’), Matty Godden (52’, 90’), Andreas Weimann (68’), Callum O’Hare (75’)

Cards: Alex Scott (14’), Ian Maatsen (45’)

Attendance: 19,855 (2,894 away)


Sky Blues XI: Simon Moore (GK), Fankaty Dabo, Michael Rose, Kyle McFadzean (C), Jake Clarke-Salter (Todd Kane 45’), Ian Maatsen, Ben Sheaf, Gustavo Hamer (Liam Kelly 84’), Callum O’Hare, Matty Godden, Viktor Gyökeres (Tyler Walker 71’)

Unused subs: Ben Wilson (GK), Dom Hyam, Jamie Allen, Jodi Jones,


Bristol City XI: Daniel Bentley (GK), Chris Martin, Callum O’Dowda, Andreas Weimann, Tyreeq Bakinson, Cameron Pring (Nahki Wells 80’), George Tanner, Tomáš Kalas, Zak Vyner, Alex Scott (Jay Dasilva 63’), Han-Noah Massengo

Unused subs: Max O’Leary (GK), Danny Simpson, Sam Bell, Ayman Benarous, Kasey Palmer

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account