Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

16 September 2017 Venue The Abbey Stadium Attendance

Kick off 15:00 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT: Cambridge United 2-1 Coventry City - Sky Blues defeated against the U's

Jabo Ibehre and Uche Ikpeazu on tar to earn Cambridge the three points...

16 September 2017

The Sky Blues have been defeated 2-1 by Cambridge United at the Cambs Glass Stadium after goals from Jabo Ibehre and Uche Ikpeazu.

Duckens Nazon did pull City level early on into the second half but Ikpeazu's header ten minutes from time meant that Mark Robins' side would make the trip back up the M1 empty handed.

Coventry started the afternoon by far the brighter of the two sides in the Cambridge rain.

Stuart Beavon and Duckens Nazon had swapped roles since Tuesday night’s clash with Carlisle, with the Beavon now playing as 'number ten', and the duo linked up well to create the first real chance of the game, but Nazon’s header was well wide.

Despite the start it was the home side who would take an early lead. Bradley Halliday found an opening down the right side before turning and passing back to Piero Mingoia whose first-time cross was nodded home by Jabo Ibhere. Cambridge had the lead.

Against the run of play, the goal had given the home side confidence which they used to grow into the half. Halliday was yet again a threat from right back, nearly catching Lee Burge off guard just before half time.

It was not long after the interval that City were level. Nazon, who scored his first league goal for the club on Tuesday, pulled away from his marker finding space for a Peter Vincenti’s cross to drop into before the Haitian International fired the ball in off the ‘keeper. It may later go down as a David Forde own-goal, but Nazon certainly claimed it.

From then on it was all Coventry. Jodi Jones almost completed the turnaround seconds later but his curler was saved by Forde, before Stuart Beavon’s 30-yard half-volley also tested the ‘keeper’s strength just shy of the hour mark.

Jones had the better of U’s left back Greg Taylor throughout the second-half and skipped his challenge to charge into the penalty area to find Beavon again but this time the 33-year-old fired over.

Mingoia’s delivery was instrumental in Cambridge’s opener and it was his cross yet again that found Uche Ikpeazu in space at the far post to head home the U's second. The number 9 was allowed to drift away unmarked before placing his header just out of Lee Burge’s reach. 

Max Biamou was waiting in the wings to replace Beavon when Shaun Derry’s side took the lead, and he nearly made a vital impact with five minutes to go, stooping down to head Devon Kelly-Evans’ cross wide from close range. A golden chance.

However, City would have one last chance to steal a point. Rod McDonald’s knockdown fell beautifully for Nazon who fired his effort into the ground forcing Forde, off balance, to push the ball up over the bar. 


Yellow: Vincenti, Kelly, Nazon, Maris.

Attendance: 5,142 (1,209)


Cambridge United XI: Forde (GK), Halliday, Deegan, Taylor, Legge (C), Mingoia, Ikpeazu, Dunk (Taft 45'), Ibehre, Maris (O'Neil 87'), Brown (Eliot 83').

Cambridge United Subs: Mitov (GK), Amoo, Davies, Foy.

Coventry City XI: Burge (GK), Grimmer, Willis, McDonald, Stokes, Kelly, Doyle (C), Vincenti (Dev. Kelly-Evans 69'), Nazon, Jones, Beavon (Biamou 69').

Coventry City Subs: O'Brien (GK), Hyam, Bayliss, Maycock, Ponticelli.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account