Skip to main content Skip to site footer

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy tickets
20 April 2018 Venue Ricoh Arena Attendance

Kick off 19:45 (UK)

Buy a pass:

Listen live now

Watch live now

Listen or watch live now

Recent results


English Football League - League Two

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Live commentary of this match has not yet started.

toggle inactive

key moments

Updated at

There are currently no key moments to display.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

Match Reports

REPORT: Coventry City 3-1 Stevenage - Sparky brace sinks Stevenage

Marc McNulty and Liam Kelly on target for the Sky Blues...

20 April 2018

The Sky Blues are back up to sixth in SkyBet League two after goals from Liam Kelly and Marc McNulty saw off Stevenage at the Ricoh.

McNulty had Mark Robins' side two up after seven minutes inside the Arena before Alex Revell pulled one back for the visitors.

Liam Kelly's first goal for the Sky Blues put City further ahead before Boro's Luke Wilkinson saw red moment before the break for a late challenge on McNulty.

The win lifts Robins' side four points inside the play-off places three days before they face promotion rivals Lincoln City next at the Ricoh on Tuesday.

City had the lead after just 90 seconds. McNulty was given space to turn on the ball and loft an audacious effort from range that caught Stevenage's 'keeper Tom King unawares and floated into the net.

Six minutes later and it was two. City's cross somehow missed everyone in the area and found McNulty at the back post to turn the ball home. It was a dream start for the Sky Blues.

Stevenage were not out of the game yet, though. Revell made the most of some sloppy play at the back to curl the ball around Lee Burge from close range to half Coventry's lead and with seventy minutes still to play.

Kelly hadn't scored a goal all season for City but quickly changed that after he answered the Sky Blue Army's screams to shoot and found the far corner with power fromt he corner of the area. Robins' side had their two goal lead restored.

The 28-year-old could have doubled his tally for City moments later. The former Orient man caught his volley sweet enough to see it dip over King but rattle the cross bar. The Sky Blues could have been heading into the break with a three goal lead.

Boro's uphill task turned into a mountain to climb as the board was raised for added time. Wilkinson appeared the catch McNulty with a late challenge in the middle of the park and was shown a straight red card by referee Michael Sailsbury.

After the break the game was short of on-field entertainment, forcing the Sky Blue Army to break out a 20 minute rendition of Twist and Shout, as Robins' side continued to dominate the evening's play. McNulty's 69th minutes header was the first on target since the interval.

The second half also gave Robins a chance to give Max Biamou, Josh Barrett and Kyel Reid some minutes, but the atmosphere in the Ricoh was brought down a peg after a nasty injury to Stevenage's Dale Gorman saw him stretched off to a sympathetic appaluse from all inside the stadium.


Yellows: Doyle (21'), Amos (25')

Reds: Wilkinson (38')

Goals: McNulty (2' & 7'), Revell (20'), Kelly (36')

Attendance: 8,859 (246 away)

Sky Blues XI: Burge (GK), Grimmer, Willis, McDonald, Haynes, Shipley, Kelly, Doyle (C), Ponitcelli (Reid [72']), Clarke-Harris (Biamou [72']), McNulty (Barrett [80']).

Subs: O'Brien (GK), Davies, Hyam, Barrett, Bayliss.

Stevenage XI: King (GK), Martin, Wilkinson, King, Whelpdale, Sheaf, Revell, Amos, Newton (Kennedy [77']), Godden (Gorman [49'], McKee [77']), Henry (C).

Subs: Fryer (GK), Franks, Goddard, Vancooten.

Advertisement block

Advertisement block

iFollow Next Match Tickets Account